Author Topic: Tyvec  (Read 2611 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Tyvec
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:41:40 pm »
I know this material is not primitive, but is very thin and light. For those that don't care about a totally primitive bow it MAY be a good backing??? Anyone out there ever try it?? Cheap too.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Tyvec
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:55:23 pm »
i was thinking about it! its basically f!bergl@$$, or something like that, strong, and its waterproof. i would imagine it would work well enough
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:08:04 pm by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
I am very familiar with this material from using it for sign banners for many years. Looks sorta like rice paper but is very tough and almost impossible to tear. The thought has crossed my mind before about using it for backing. It needs special paints to paint it though. Some solvent based paints won't dry properly on it. Normal acrylics might work and I've not tried staining it with normal stains before (alcohol based stains might work). Unless you want a bright white bow back of course. Which brings up the question of what glues are going to work. I think tightbond would work but would have to do a little experimenting to test it. Not sure if hide glue would work as the material is pretty water repellent. Might be a good water protector for sinew as it is used an exterior moisture barrier for construction (house wrap)

muffin, it is not fiberglass but more like a polystyrene (or something)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:51 pm »
No F-WORDS guys! :laugh:

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 02:16:23 pm »
How about ephenglass? No f's involved  ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:20 pm »
what a minute i just read Marc's article on ephenglass takedown handle :)
45# at 27"

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:47:38 pm »
Randman,

Think typical spray paint would adhere to it?? I think if it was indeed a good backing you could hide it under many natural backings...even a thin veneer.

VMB

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »
Back when I was young I tried cloth fiberglass on backs set in west systems epoxy.  Works well for holding stave together when using old fence posts with lots of weather checks,  ya I been there got the T.  Especially if you wrap the bow where the crack exits the limb or threatens to.  All that said I would not put tyvec on a house let alone a bow!  Use silk three layers set with tb3 you can not get a better backing for ease of use an toughness plus they are beautiful!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58:01 pm »
This thread is for the purpose of finding out if anyone has tried the tyvec...nothing more. I have just about every backing there is minus baleen....and silk is a great backing. Sometimes I feel folks forget that not everyone has enough bank roll to get the materials needed to start building bows, this material along with wood (maybe red oak) could be found at a constuction job site in the garbage. I would rather someone try a mixture of materials to get the "bug" of bow making than not trying at all because of finances...(thinking a kid here)

VMB

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 04:14:29 pm »
I agree totally I just think tyvec would probably be a real bugger to get to stick to wood due to its slick surface and probably has a release film on the outside that should be cleaned??  Any material old t shirts cut in to strips will help hold down splinters if set in tb3!  Lots of options just how much time do you have to experiment ?

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:23 pm »
Whats wrong with Denim, Does it really add that much weight.  I don;t think its bad like some people say, at least its Cotton.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:18:16 pm »
Burlap is one heck of an under-rated backing.
dirt cheap, common, and sticks very well with any glue, plus it is strong:)

Tyvek probably is one of those things that sounds like it would work, but I really doubt it. It would probably be diffucult to attach. Maybe...

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 06:19:38 am »
tyvek will work, you cant tear that stuff, and it will take spray paint
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:58 am »
My first, instant reaction was why on earth put Tyvec on a primitive bow!  I wouldn't do it.  Too many natural backings, sinew, rawhide, wood, plant fibers etc..  They're cheap, readily available, effective and are worth bragging about.  No interest for me at all.  Then I look down at my bullet proof Kevlar string....Still don't like the idea, but I won't throw rocks from this glass house.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 10:00:58 am »
I have a pair of tyvek racing flats for running road races and although the material is strong and light it glues poorly and actually tears readily once it has been pushed to the limit several times. I think that it would be like a kevlar string. Good for a while and then tears or breaks when it fatigues.