Author Topic: Mulberry selfbow  (Read 12709 times)

Offline Dakotian

Mulberry selfbow
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:44:45 am »
This one I have had done for some time but only just got around to posting it. About a year ago I went through a treeline which was mostly mulberry trees, most of them were useless however in the center of it were three of the straightest and cleanest trees I have ever seen, each of them were worth a good 6 staves, so I came back to the best of the three and did what any good bowyer would have done to such a magnificant tree, I chopped it down. This bow is the result of it's second stave as my first attempt was more or less a failure.
It pulls 60# at 27" and is 65" in length. 1.5" at the fades and tapers down to .5" at the nocks in a semi-pyramid style. I left 2 or 3 rings of sapwood on which didn't seem to cause any trouble. The only major fault is a slight twist throughout the stave but it certainly doesn't effect the shooting. I have found it to be fast and accurate. Since this is my 07-08 hunting bow I have used deer antlers in the decoration.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dakotian

Re: Mulberry selfbow
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:46:35 am »
a

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:48:27 am »
a

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:50:13 am »
a

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 10:52:56 am »
This broken arrow and this deer antler are all I brought home from a weekend hunting trip to the black hills.

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 10:54:49 am »
This method of posting pictures is sure taking a while.

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:56:44 am »
finally full draw.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 11:04:29 am »
  Dakotian,you always post some good looking bows.Mulberry is my next choice to Osage.When you are posting more than one picture,click on (more attachments)after each one.I did the same thing as you till I figured it out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 11:10:50 am »
Cool bow, I have never made a bow from wood I harvested, good job. Hope your hunting season is succesfull. Is your string made from baling twine? Verry nice bending piece of wood.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 11:22:15 am »
Looks like it bends nicely. Well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 11:32:29 am »
Andrew, With each bow you post the progress is obvious.  You did a good job on this mulberry bow and you have learned a lot about selecting proper bow wood. Congratulations on this bow and your progress.     Pat

ps. How are your sisters. Is the younger one still toting the Excalibur?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 11:51:07 am »
That's a neat bow. I didn't know anything about using mulberry as bow wood. Thank you for sharing.
Gordon

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 12:55:24 pm »
I look at this bow and then remember some of your first ones with those VERY square handles and think to myself...MAN IS THIS KID LEARNING HIS STUFF.  Good work Andrew.

I notice there arent as many cats around you in these pics as well as the missing sister and her often seen sword.  Hope she is well and the rest of your family as well and that the cats are missing for a good reason...(target practice?) lol

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 01:44:33 pm »
Glad to see you back Andrew. Nice mulberry bow, too. Got you bookmarked for Nov Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 08:28:03 pm »
I really like the bow! Gotta agree with little john on the string, looks just like the twine I use in my baler!
laugh. its good for ya