Author Topic: Native american Plains sinew backed bows  (Read 26130 times)

Offline Takintazipa

Native american Plains sinew backed bows
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:50:03 pm »
Hello friends,
I'm from Czech Republic and I'm posting my work here. I will appreciate your comments. I would like meet here some of you who likes plains bows and I would like to exchange some experience etc. I'm loking for a pictures of an original plains bow mainly design. I offer same from my database.
Thank you and I'm looking forward to see you here.

http://takintazipa.webnode.cz/

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Native american Plains sinew backed bows
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »
Nice website. I like the plains indian bows, except for one thing- they are rather annoyingly loud.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Takintazipa

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:08:41 pm »
Hi, please explain me what does it mean  annoyingly loud.
thank you.

Offline Takintazipa

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:53:28 pm »
I'm looking for Eastern Red Cedar [juniper virginiana] staves, 50inch. long. Thank for help.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:07 pm »
I don't think the noise level is caused by the design
I like free stuff.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:16:10 pm »
Hello friends,
I'm from Czech Republic and I'm posting my work here. I will appreciate your comments. I would like meet here some of you who likes plains bows and I would like to exchange some experience etc. I'm loking for a pictures of an original plains bow mainly design. I offer same from my database.
Thank you and I'm looking forward to see you here.

http://takintazipa.webnode.cz/

You should look up Indianguy on here.  He posts some amazing Native American plains bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Takintazipa

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:26 pm »

You should look up Indianguy on here.  He posts some amazing Native American plains bows.
[/quote]

thank you.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:51 am »
Beautiful work, Takintazipa. I have a desire to build this style bow.    Jackcrafty(Patrick) makes some beautiful Plains style bows and arrows. Check out the "How To" section here and look for Jackcrafty's work. Also Robustus has made Plains style sinew/wood/horn style bows along with the Asiatic Horn Bows he makes.
 You might Google The Smithsonian Institute and the Museum of the American Indian for pics and info about many Native American style bows and arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:47 am »
You do some nice work.
Gordon

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:05 am »
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:26:40 am »
Beautiful work,can't help with the plans style bow.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:57:29 am »
Good work man.

I'm working on a Plains style bow now. I haven't finished one before but I really like the look and design.

Keep up the good work.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:49:54 am »
I've made 3.  Got my designs from Allely & Hamm's Encyclopedia Volume II.  I was following designs from the Cheyenne tribe and kept them at 50".  Selfbows, so far.  Here is a very short video of my first effort shooting, made of Hop Hornbeam.  It's no louder than any other bow.  You can here the arrow passing the bow in this video, but there was no wrap to dampen the sound.  I actually find that the short "plains" style bows are easier to make efficient, without vibration or twang because you HAVE to get all the wood working and focus on tiller.  I'd hunt with them out to about 15 yards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=42CJv26LLQc&safe=active
1’—>1’

Offline Takintazipa

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 12:51:03 am »
Hi guys,
I'm interest in original bows pictures. I have all from AMNH, US lokal museums or from auction's database. I just ask, iff somebody have something special, for instance, something never published etc.
I do bows over 20 years, and iff you checked my pages /gallery/ you have seen that I do plains bows with small or no differences from originals.
I have no any problems with shape or technology problems; I just want to have ispiration by design of originals.
Problem is, that some of beautifull bows are in the quiver on picture, but the quiver covered the design of bow.
Thank's for your complimet's. :)

Offline Horse Thief Killer

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:38 pm »
I think they look great. I think just a plain one or maybe a little paint would be fine. One thing I do like is the added small arrow rest which the Souix did include in their bows sometimes. You should expand out into other tribes Cree, Blackfoot, Pawnee, Nakota(Stone Souix),Cheyenne etc. They all have there slight differences. You should check Indianguy he does make fine museum quality pieces.