Author Topic: Tiller Check on hickory bow.  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Tiller Check on hickory bow.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 10:17:58 pm »
You should get it to full brace as soon as you can during the tillering process. Long strings do not give an accurate representation of how the bow will bend with the proper string.

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:11 am »
Lol.     Zee ya skipping school today..  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Haha we have some time of school to "revise" for exams. I wonder what subject makin bows comes under ? SS

Would of been nice if we had Bow making in (woodwork) 9th grade high school in my time. Instead we made stuff like ashtrays, using the lathe. There was really no set program, the instructor/teacher just winged it.  Building bows in the early 70's was not that big a deal then.
Keep up the good work guys....... :)

P.S.  Squirrelslayer did not qoute that it was me........ :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:04:37 am by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:14:10 am »
Why are you pulling it to full draw if you haven't got it to short string brace height yet? You have no idea where you need to remove wood doing what you're doing. You also haven't said anything about draw weight or length that I can see.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:03 am »

Haha well we're on spring break over here but after this there'll be a bunch of math tests and crap, ugh. Bows looking prety good.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 02:23:21 am »
SS, my method of tiller (only because I can't see what's going on exactly during the floor tillering stage as some of the more experienced bowyer on here do) is"
First long string tillering.  That is the string is TIGHT to the belly of the bow so as the bow has to bend in order for me to put it on the tillering tree.  When I can bend it 6 to maybe 8 inches at my target weight I switch to short string.

Short string is 2 to 4 inch braced.  When I get to 8 to maybe 10 inch at my target weight, I brace the bow.

NEVER pull the bow beyond your target weight.

All that being said, your tiller doesn't look bad.  Get the mid 2/3 limb bending more.  Don't scrape any more on the 1/3 near the handle until then.  BRACE YOUR BOW NOW to see what it READY looks like.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 04:06:34 am »
Tiller should be as near perfect as possible before EVER bracing a bow.
When asking for help with the tiller it is essential to be able to see the back of the bow so that the width profile is known - this determines correct thickness taper.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 07:05:46 am »
Still don't understand that Mike. ??? Care to explane on another thread so as not to hijack SS's.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 07:39:22 am »
Squirrell, glad to see you posting some of your work :) it sounds like you have the right idea of taking it slow and excersizing the limbs between scraping. Overall, it looks good but slightly stiff. Slowly scrape and recheck your bends. Hedgeapple gave some easy advice to follow. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 10:06:30 am »
ok everyone i have taken your advice, i scraped the outer 1/3 until it was bending evenly. i put it on a short brace and continued tillering with a short brace. i then went out onto a full brace and then tillered it from there. it was looking good and i mannaged to get it finnished. i put a few arrows through it and there landing where i want them to maybe shooting slightly to the left. to finnish im going to add a varnish, build up the handle with rawhide. and add a squirrel fur handle. ill get a full draw picture later on today. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline bow101

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 05:42:41 pm »
Good for you, "shooting slightly to the left"   Mmmmmm check your alignment, is there any twist in the limbs..?  how's the arrow shelf, you got a proper nock point,  maybe you are naturally pulling to the left......... ??? ??? ??? ???.?

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 06:09:19 pm »
Good for you, "shooting slightly to the left"   Mmmmmm check your alignment, is there any twist in the limbs..?  how's the arrow shelf, you got a proper nock point,  maybe you are naturally pulling to the left......... ??? ??? ??? ???.?

All of this and your arrows might be overspined.
>>>---------->

Offline bow101

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:20 pm »
All of this and your arrows might be overspined.

Is that what can happen with a right hand shooter.?

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »

No there is no twist in the limbs. I have been shooting of the hand so thats why it was shooting to the left.  I took it down to the club today and it is REALLY quiet and there is no hand shock.  Im thinking of adding a snake skin but im not sure where to get one here in the UK. I just checked and the bow is 10#@25" which is ok because im makin this bow for my cousin. Thanks for all your help everyone.  SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee