Author Topic: My first "stick" arrows  (Read 4630 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
My first "stick" arrows
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:05:40 pm »
Hi all, these are the first arrows I made from some saplings or bushes we collected instead of bamboo from Home Depot.  I learned a ton about straightening from Patrick and built a new tool to help with that.  I'm not sure exactly what the wood is.  A friend suggest viburnum (sp) but I'm not certain about that. 

They are much more sloppy looking than I had envisioned.   ::) I'm sure neatness would come with time.  I did these all by hand without any power or fletching tools etc.  I'm guessing some better tools and perhaps paint would result in a cleaner finished product.  I think I'll try to get better at doing them by hand for now. 

I tried the metal tips that accept screw in heads from 3 rivers.  it was hard to get the hollow shafts to fill them correctly however.  I was nervous about them staying so I tried a few different attachment methods (artificial sinew, thread, real sinew, no added material). 

The arrows are about 32 '' and probably 500 to 585 grains with tips.  The spine is pretty weak however.  I'm a bit hesitant to shoot them from a powerful bow. 

Any input is appreciated.  I'm new to this game and feverishly reading your posts to learn the ropes.  ;)  :o  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:10:08 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PebblePlacement

Re: My first "stick" arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:37 pm »
Cool!

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:27:53 pm »
I think they look great ... your first set? yeah!
 the whole arrow making process is an art where you're ALWAYS learning...building bows can be tough, but, making arrows
from scratch? just aint for the faint at heart. I've only been at it for a little over a year and i've so much to learn. but when you start
zinging arrows you made from scratch with arrows that match your bow in tighter and tighter patterns ..its worth it.

you will probably notice that those tail feathers are softer than primary wing, and they may get more damaged
as they pass over your hand. it might be good to snip them down a bit, down-shaft, where it first contacts your hand.
my first arrows were underspined and yet each of their launch patterns became almost predictable.
if they were all i had , i think i could still have hunted with them....but as perfectionists we're always driven towards improvements!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:11 pm »
They look great.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »
First batch? I think I'll send you all of my shoots and boo for you to make arrows! :D. Nice work!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:52:44 pm »
Dam you can make mine to! Nice work trying different Threads . You got a lot of learning in one session of Manufacture.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:01:54 am »
Thanks much for your compliments!  I have made bamboo arrows following the build along on this site before but this is my first time making them with my own wood.  It was surprising just how long it takes to make an arrow by hand.  That's not a negative for me.  It makes it more rewarding.  I can always quickly by arrows from the archery shop.  ;)  Though it's a little sad when you break an arrow that you picked over a year ago.   :( :)

@richardzane thanks for the tips!  The spine is very weak on these but I'm finishing a 30# bow now so they may match up nicely with that.  Getting some that spine close to what I need for hunting is my next goal.  Getting a kill with one would just be amazing!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:16:20 am »
Good looking arrows. What did you use for nocks?  Those adapt a point inserts are old school from the 60's.  You did good.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:56 am »
Look good to me. I am addicted and have yet to build my 1st arrow. I have been reading here & other forums. Have collected goose feathers & ordered a few items. Have a few shoots of various types to work with, have them drying in the shed.

Now I cannot pass by a tree or shrub anywhere without wondering if it would make good arrows. I salivate when I see a nice straight shoot or limb. Every piece of junk metal I see, I wonder about points from it.

Too bad I have to also do such mundane things as work.  :(
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:57:44 am »
@JEB thanks!  I drilled a small hole, cut a small piece out with a razor blade, and did the rest with sandpaper.  I shoot 3 fingers under so I need the arrow to stick to the string a bit.

@ncpat thank you!  Seriously, it was bad enough when I was always looking for deer and turkey now I'm looking at every tree and bush as opportunity.  Must have been similar to how our ancestors viewed the woods.  A ordinary wood lot becomes a sea of opportunity and another chance at survival.  Pesky work does tend to get in the way.  Though work is send me down south in a few weeks and I am going to stop by the Smokey Mountain National Park on the way back; so it's not all bad.  :)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:52:17 pm »
Look good to me.  Another name for vibernum in "arrow wood".  There are lots of different vibernum out there though.

Nice work, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »
Very nice man!
If those are your first.... I want the second! they will be absolutely AMAZING!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 11:49:29 pm »
Yup, have to get 'round to makin sum of thum arrrows sometime..... ;D  nice ones Hunter

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline randman

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45:55 pm »
Nice job PA! Unless you want the changability so you can put broadheads on those things, there's an easier way to make a target point (especially on that stuff that has a hollow pith) just get some duplex head nails, drill out the soft pith, squirt glue in, shove the nail down inside all the way to the head, grind the head to a point after the glue dries, wrap with art sinew (or your choice)and yer good to go. The nail gives a nice weight forward and are cheap.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 03:34:15 am »
I like em man! Hopefully soon I will post some but these damn bows won't stopp calling my name...I been on my "first set" now for months it seems ::)
I got too many irons in the fire.