Author Topic: Advice for my first selfbow  (Read 1283 times)

Offline robtattoo

Advice for my first selfbow
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:52 am »
OK, I think I've pretty much read everything there is to read regarding self-bowyery over the last 5 or 6 years, but I have yet to take the plunge.
I have a bit of a dilemma right now; I have 2 staves to start on & I don't know which of the 2 would be the most suitable.

Number 1 is a 69" Black locust. No knots, shakes, cracks, splits or weirdness other than it's not totally straight, OR
Number 2, a 72½" Hackberry. No knots or other faults & pretty much totally straight.

Both have good late to early growth, wide rings (the BL is 9 per inch, the Hackberry is 14 rings per inch)

As far as I understand it (although I've been wrong before) Hackberry is more forgiving to work, BL makes for a faster, more resilient bow.

My target weight & drawlength is 45# - 75# at 31"

I'm thinking a simple Pyramid style bow may be the easiest to begin with, but I'm totally open to advice on that!

I have zero experience at this, but I'm a pretty quick learner & way too ambitious!  :o

What would y'all suggest?
Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Advice for my first selfbow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:46 am »
A pyramid style is a good place to start. Its simple but very effective.

My advice? Be patient. Hastiness is almost always the root of my problems. Go slow, and remove wood in small increments. You can't put it back on after. If you start feeling like rushing the process, put everything down, and give it day. Come back with a fresh mind and a fresh supply of patience. You can do it fast or you can do it right.

And don't be afraid of failure. We've all broke our fair share of bows and had even more come in below our expectations. Learn and move forward.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:50:06 am »
Well you could easily get the draw weight your looking for but gee a 31 inch draw that's huge but your staves are long enough to handle it. I have made one bow from black locust and it was a pyramid it was pulling over 70 pounds it worked really well for the design tho I ended up poping a splinter on the back from being lazy and not stringing the bow properly I haven't used hackberry yet so I won't comment on it
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:58:35 am »
Hackberry stave and a pyramid design.
Good luck with a 31 inch draw!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:51:01 am »
Like the others say, but for a first bow, pick an exact draw weight as your target and once it flexing at all draw to that weight as long as it is bending fairly evenly, never more.
I'd say for a first bow go for a shorter draw and modify your technique to suit. The different between drawing to the cin or the ear can kill a bow easy peasy.
Once you've had some fun with it, if you want to try and get it back further go for it, but with your first bows it's best to quit while you are ahead.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:16:25 am »
I would go with the 72 Hackberry , start 2 inches at the fads tappered to 3/8 or so at the tip. 31 is long but that should handle that[I hope] You are close enough,come visit one Saturday and I would be glad to help.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 03:46:34 pm »
hackberry - is like a golden lab       BL - is like a pit bull

you'll have much more attitude  with the BL,  so i'd start with the hackberry for sure
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 05:58:41 pm »
I vote the hack.  Use all 72" and I agree the 31" draw is a challenge!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »
I highly recommend taking up pappys offer ;)

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:40 pm »
Thanks for the offer Pappy I'll definitely take you up on that before the Classic, but this Saturday I've gotta go kill me a Turkey!

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:39:10 am »
Good luck on the Turkey,just let me know,I am there most Sat's. at least untill after the Classic. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good