Author Topic: Sore joints from shooting  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
Sore joints from shooting
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:50:28 am »
I am fairly new to archery and built all of my own equipment, arrows quiver and bow.
I was so excited I made my own target for slabs of cardboard layered together so i could shoot at the ends and brought it down to the river near where I live.

After a few weeks I decided to take an entire day and practice, well after which my index finger was sore but only in my knuckle connectingto my hand. (The first knuckle).

Is there a way to relieve this at home without going to a hospital?
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sore joints from shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:57:49 am »
Stop shooting for a few days. You might try an anti inflamitory like asprin or ibuprofin...but stop shooting until it feels better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:40 am »
Aw... I was hoping it would be faster than that :( lol What is it from Pat do you know?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:39 pm »
Sounds like tendonitis or the inflamation around the tendon casing. I have a similar condition but mine is from somethin else and it doesn't hurt when I shoot.
 The problem with these conditions is over use, like tennis elbow, is what it is and non-use is the best remedy. Give it a week of so and see if it improves. Shooting lots of arrows is not always the best training. Once your archery muscles are conditioned to shooting you will do better only shooting a dozen or so arrows at one session but make each shot count. I like shooting one arrow, retrieving it and shoot it again. That way I have no other arrows in the target breaking my cncentration...plus you get more exercise that way.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »
I don't think I have a problem with the arrows allready in the target breaking concentration. Or is that an unconscious action?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:11 am »
The way I look at it if another arrow is in the target you don't have a clear surface to concentrate on like you do when you are hunting. Also I think you subconsciously aim for the other arrow and not at the spot you have picked.
 I shoot targets with other arrows in them at 3D shoots and just building up archery muscles, etc but like a clear target when I'm trying to concentrate on drilling a shot.