Author Topic: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginnings!  (Read 75823 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginnings!
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2013, 11:42:18 pm »
Come to the Classic, Cipriano and I'll let you. ;)  The skin is what really set her off. Thanks. It is perfect for her.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2013, 11:41:09 am »
I shot her this weekend some but I think I'll have to reduce the weight a bit. I'll check the weight this evening but my scale is off so it is hard to really know the true weight...I just know she's a bit heavy for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38:54 am »
Pat, have you gotten an accurate draw weight, shot it thru a chronograph, or done any flight shooting to be able to measure the performance on this beautiful bow? It would be nice to find a big open area and just let some fly for distance. Any way just curious.            Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2013, 10:44:37 am »
 Pat, thats a beauty! Nice to see you show what you can do now and then.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2013, 04:29:58 pm »
Those are some amazing curves! You da man Pat.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:30 pm »
That is a beautiful bow by an accomplished bowyer. Well done, Pat. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2013, 11:41:04 pm »
A few weeks ago Charlie Jefferson(stringstretcher) sent me a digital bow scale. My old spring scale has been off for a while now but I didn't know how much until I got the digital scale from Charlie. With the new scale Lil' Thumper weighed in at 65#@26".  :o She will be going in for some weight reduction surgery to get her weight down so I can handle her more comfortably.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
 I guess this would be my least favorite thing about bow building...reducing the weight of an already finished bow. Murphy get his chance to reek havoc.  ::)

Offline Badger

« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2013, 12:02:47 am »
  Pat, I bet that bow would do well at the flight shoots. I took the libery of copying your profile with a hickory backed osage. Just finished it today. I made mine 50#@ 26 and it thumps the arrows pretty good. Looking forward to shooting an arrow through your bow at the classic if I can make it this year.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2013, 12:49:23 am »
Steve you are more than welcome to shoot her. I hope you can make it back to the Classic this spring.
 She's definitely the fastest bow I've built. The arrows that shoot best are 28" parallel poplar shafts weighing in at 494gr to 525gr. A bit light(gpp) for hunting arrows for a 65# bow but plenty enough weight to hunt with. When I reduce her I have some rear tapered poplar arrows that should shoot well too.  I haven't tried cane or hardwood shoot arrows yet.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:07:20 pm by Pat B »

Offline bowmo

« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:30 am »
Turned out awesome.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2013, 02:54:06 am »
Waited a long time for the money shot!  Thanks for sharing Pat.  You got a nice one there.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2013, 06:07:55 pm »
Thank you guys.

Offline snag

« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2013, 01:29:55 am »
She's a beauty. That full draw picture looks like it fits you perfectly Pat!  I think that "bow will hunt"!
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2013, 05:00:59 pm »
Thanks Snag.
 I got her weight reduced to 56#@26" now and she is still a shooter. I put about a dozen arrows through her and am still very pleased with her.   8)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2013, 06:42:25 pm »
Pat I'm counting down the days until I get to shoot her.  I might be copying your bow for my winter sinew project.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left