Author Topic: Older Hickory Stave  (Read 3835 times)

Offline PaulP

Older Hickory Stave
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:07:49 pm »
I have been given an Older Hickory Stave.  To be polite I accepted the gift.   The Previous Owner said the stave is at least 10 years old.   This stave has be stored in his shop, off the concrete floor and in the dry, for the last 10 years. 

My question is; is this stave any good or is it a pile of firewood?   Remember, it's a 10 year old piece of Hickory.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Older Hickory Stave
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:23:58 pm »
If it was stored properly it should be well seasoned. ;) It will probably be hard as a rock.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulP

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:28:25 pm »
Pat; Thanks for the reply.   If it's Not Firewood; is there anything I can do to make it easier to work.   You are right; it's as hard as a rock.   

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:37:32 pm »
A good sharp rasp should do the job. If you have a band saw take it to near dimensions and do the rest with the rasp and a scraper. It should make an excellent bow. ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulP

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 07:24:51 pm »
Pat; your are correct: this hickory is as hard as a rock.   I've been working on it some yesterday and some today.   Taking it slow with a farriers rasp and scraper.   

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:41:27 pm »
Paul, that wood is SEASONED. Most of us use wood that is only dry. There is a big difference. That piece should be more stable while building and maybe not take on moisture like just dry hickory would. This is just a thought.
   All of the old timers preferred seasoned wood, sometimes seasoning wood for 10 or more years.     Pat

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:48:28 am »
Being SEASONED as Pat says, I was wondering if old wood like this is crystalized,and if it were does that mean as worked into a bow it could have problems or a short life span? Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:11:52 am »
Augie, I believe that being seasoned the resins have solidified and the cell walls have hardened and this makes the stave more resilient and probably tougher. I think this would give the wood a longer life as a bow.   Pat 

Offline PaulP

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 06:46:42 pm »
Thanks for all the info.   I'm getting alot of great info.   Paul