Author Topic: osage question  (Read 4030 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: osage question
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »
Here's a pic of that knot I was talking about I forgot that there was a knot just like it about 6 inches down the limb.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:42 pm »
I see! you are referring to a narrow handled bendy handle. It takes a little more finesse to do, but its not difficult.  And like has been said, Osage will handle that quite nicely.  As it will handle most any design you want to try with it.  That's assuming of course, that dimensions are adjusted appropriately for osages density and properties.  I've even made the design work with walnut.  Some would argue that walnut isn't even good firewood.  I'm not one of those of course.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
I doubt that knot at the tip will even be in the bow.  More than likely, it'll just be a cool wiggle.  The lower one could possibly give you a fit or two, as it comes in from the side.  once you get your ring chased put up some more pics.  That'll give us a better idea of what your dealing with.  I'd be willing to bet that they won't be to much of a problem though.  Josh

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 06:40:28 pm »
If it can be made from another wood, it can be made from Osage.  This includes a bendy handle bow.  I'm with Pearl on the knots.  Keep them off the edge and they are generally a non issue.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 06:43:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys ill post more pics when I can I probably wont be able to work with it until this weekend tho.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 06:59:42 pm »
Squirrelslinger: have you had problems with osage bend in the handle bows?  Or just more sucess with osage flatbow styles?   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 09:46:49 pm »
Haha Osage will work perfectly fine as long as you aren't making it a D shapped cross section make it flat it's probably the best wood for a bend in the handle with a flat belly of course were not talking about an English longbow which yew would be best for
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:34 pm »
Once again, Osage is great in any style you can throw at it if properly designed and executed.  This includes D-cross sectioned elb's.  Now whether or not yew is better in that design is a question that has not and can not be answered definitively.  Certainly can't be answered by me, as I have no experience with yew.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 10:34:38 pm »
Couple folks on this thread need to check what time it is in the shop  8)

I love me an osage bendy....flat or round bellied ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 10:41:34 pm »
Does anyone know how Osage handles as a bend in the handle bow? I have two seasoned staves that have some knots in them but otherwise straight.  Oh and the the knots aren't huge the largest is about the size of a quarter and is located 2 inches from one of the tips.
I would probably shoot for a stiff handled flatbow, as that is the best design for Osage. I am not sure how well it would handle a bend-in-the-handle bow.  It would also be much easier to do a stiff-handled bow than a bend-in the handle flatbow, as it requires the highest degree of tillering skill to make- I am nowhere near that skill level... TBB mentions it once or twice.
-Squirrel

Umm no ! A D style bow is the simplest easiest to make bow possible to make I don't know what your talking about and Osage works perfectly fine for it
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 10:47:31 pm »
Oh wow! Look at the time.  Sure is getting on towards bed time ;)  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 07:13:24 am »
Osage bendy handle is very rapidly becoming my favorite shooting /looking bow of any!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...