Author Topic: Firearm ammunition question  (Read 15508 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Firearm ammunition question
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 10:43:06 am »
I was really caught off guard with run on 22 ammo, may have 50 rounds total and less than a box of  38, 45 and 308 each. I did pick up a few cases of 12ga to insure I had my opening day of dove season(long standing tradition) supply in place for the next few years.

On the up side, if the worst happens, I do have almost 100 lbs of lead I picked up at the range at Briarfield while attending several ASTB archery shoots and a can or two of BP. These components and a few flint rocks out of the creek and I can make my flinters go bang long after cartridge guns become extinct.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:15 am »
When I made my first response to this post I thought I might be pushing the envelope, or it might be misconstrued that way.I hope not,because I never viewed it as a political issue, it's not a right wing/left wing, red state/blue state issue.

It's a civil issue, an American issue.The second amendment to the constitution, is the second amendment to protect our first amendment rights and all of the others, and the threats we are now facing should be of concern to all Americans.
Ammo disapearing off the shelf is only one indicator of what could possibly be happening, but what is happening in New York is REALLY happening and all Americans should know about it and be concerned about it.
The crazy shootings that we are seeing now in our country shock and sadden us all no matter what your political persuasion.We all want to see a solution to this problem and those that see it as strictly a gun issue are missing the point. It's a civil issue, it's a mental health issue.
 All of these mass shooters had histories and were known but were never reported, we used to treat people with mental health issues and we had treatment facilities for them but now we don't. We allow our children to play these first person shooter games that train them to kill people.
It's a civil issue, it's a societal issue and we here on PA live in this society, and it's a good thing that we discuss this respectfully. I have no desire to disrespect  or cause an argument with anyone here, one of the reasons I love PA so much is because we all get along and respect each other.
That said I have no desire to break the rules and will try to keep my further comments in line.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 11:48:53 am »
Kevin, there is no problem with what you originally posted on Around the Campfire. I chimed in just as a reminder to all to please consider the rules before posting. I don't want to have to ban anyone but I will if needed. With threads like this it is easy for it to get out of hand with just a simple comment from someone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:39 pm »
Sleek,

The difference between the US and Britain is we (the US) are certifiabily one of the most violent cultures on the planet.......we have guns and we are not afraid of using them, thus the recent senseless violence at schools and such. There are murders every day that involve firearms, and with the amount of fire power in our society it would be sucicide for the goverment to come door to door to collect your guns. I predict "if" anything it will happen (or they will try) to slowly deminize all firearms. They didn't get smoking cigarettes deminized for several decades it was a slow steady attack that has changed peoples perception of smoking, and now is not excepted by the majority in our society. (smoking is a example)

So they will go after high capacity mags AK style firearms because it is a weak link, not everybody sees military style weapons as a "reasonable need" therefore it will be society itself that will disarm itself, with the goverment sighting studies of violence and the need for a more shall we say "healthier" enviroment for our children to live in. ;)

I personally own lots of guns, but I rarely use anthing larger than a .22 mag and I do believe in the right to bear arms....... :laugh:

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:09 pm »
VMB
I think it's possible that perception and reality are two different things in this case,We might view ourselves as one of the most violent cultures on the planet and the rest of the world might view us that way also but is it really so?
Look at the terrorism and bombings coming from the middle east and south east Asia, the wars and genocide in Africa, there have been mass shootings in Canada, Sweden,Great Britan and other places, even China, where they don't have guns , there have been mass killings.
 Violence is a problem that we as humans, world wide, have always had to deal with.
I agree with you that we need to change attitudes, the way we did with smoking, but I think the attitude we need to change is the thinking that guns are the problem.
I believe that the problems we are seeing now in America are cultural, our society is changing, we do not treat the mentally ill any more, we have games that train our children to kill people,we used to believe in "do un to others" but now it's "do it to them, before they do it to us" and while I'm doing it to others I might just get my 15 minutes of fame on the nightly news casts!,and we vote for politicians that we know are lieing to us, and represent and are bought and paid for by big business and not us, "we the people". And instead of addressing the problems, of dealing with the mentally ill, gang violence and enforcing the laws to fight crime, it looks like our government, or people in our government are trying to disarm us.
 Right here in N.Y. a man who has never been in trouble with the law is facing 7 years in jail for selling a gun that was legal before the SAFE act, and made illegal after the SAFE act. I just saw on one of the news casts another New yorker was arrested, they called him an "unlicensed gun smith" and seized 300 guns. In New York they are starting to Make criminals out of law abiding citizens and they are taking our guns.
I know that it sounds like I am some kind of gun fanatic, but I am not.I own a few shot guns, a couple of black powder guns and a 22 and I rarely hunt with my guns any more because I love archery so much. And politically I do not side with the right or the left, I have always been centrist in my thinking, I believe in compromise and working things out amongst ourselves, but what we are dealing with here in N.Y., and America as a whole, has little to do with gun violence, it looks more like disarming the citizenery.
We should be dealing with our problems, and not making ordinary citizens criminals.And we can only do this by talking amongst ourselves,compromising and agreeing with each other and voting for those who will really work for "we the people" to change  our government and our society.
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:27:10 pm by Buffalogobbler »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06:06 pm »
I understand your view, and can appriciate your concern. I believe NY is a test to see how far they can push....they know darn well it will backfire to a point, but the waters will continue to be tested till the "tide" turns. Everybody that has a right (or wants to maintain the right) better think about "how" they vote, and whom they vote for...I won't go any farther than that. Good luck to all.....and I wish I had stock in ammo manufacturing right now! :laugh:

VMB

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 11:00:15 pm »
VMB
I agree with you 100%, people are watching NY to see what happens, testing the waters so to speak.Right now the SAFE act is the law of the land in NY and the Cuomo administration is pressing ahead and prosecuting people, there are several court challenges that could possibly over turn this law and we are hopeful, but I think most of the supposed experts think it will be very difficult.

Scott D
I heard those dumb Biden statements before, but I never saw that video, Laughed my behinder off!

Kevin

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:47 pm »
This 'firearmageddon' will most likly go down in the history books as one of the largest rights movments in recent history. The statistics of the millions of guns bought and new NRA members are pretty astounding, and quite encouraging.

Its a different world now than it was in '94. "Gun Culture" doesn't just include old men in flannel shirts who just go hunting, its a huge culture now which contains many urban dwellers and a lot more female shooters. And they aren't just shooting grandpa's .22, they are shooting ARs, plastic pistols, and tactical schools/courses are quite popular and ubiquitous all over the country now.

The vast majority of the weapons laws we already have are moronic and pretty ambiguous. Because they were/are made by people that know nothing about firearms (like Biden) except what they see on TV and have a complete misunderstanding of how violence and the criminal/citizen relationship works. Now with the new propsed laws the public is generally better educated so they are much more likely to be shot down. The 'assault weapons' ban (which was really just for guns that looked scary, not even assault weapons) was already shot down. I was really thrilled about that.

Back to the OP, The Rifleman said that things should be back to normal stock wise in about a year if nothing happens government wise.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 11:42:52 pm »
Ironic, just today an officer was shot at our little town on the coast of Wa. state. We (almost) never hear of a police  shooting out here....well guess the guy had bought ammo before he got raided! :laugh:

VMB

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:02 am »

Thanks for the info. I am alarmed by it all. It makes me think about the "what if" there was an ACTUAL catastrophic event. If there is a shortage now. I always thought "stockpiling" something like amo was an extreme thing to do. Now I'm not so sure.

I agree Pappy. The 22 is the best all around round for providing for your family if it came to that.

Overall it saddens me to think about the world my children and my students will grow up in.

Josh that's just ridiculous. There are laws against price gauging. You should report him to the ATF.

Cipriano 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 12:33:47 am »
Check out Natchezs Shooting supply, they have some at sensible prices.

Eddie they are all out too. Five pages of 22 ammo and five pages of 38 special out too.. Thanks for the info. I will keep checking.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 12:35:30 am »
I appreciate the sentiment Amigo!  But I don't believe that I'll be calling that particular agency.......ever!  I will pass on my thoughts of the business to all the shooters I visit with in the area.  Which is most of em.  That quick profit will more than likely cost them a lot of business in the long run.  Josh

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
Here in NY the backround checks for ammo purchases part of the SAFE act doe's not take effect until the beginning of next year and most of the people I know are trying to buy as much as possible, but you cannot find rifle or pistol rounds on the store shelves. The stores have only shotgun shells left and they are running out of those also.
There has been a run on air rifles also and pellets. I also heard that some air gun manfacturers will not ship to NY.

Scott, a few days ago my neighbor mentioned that he thinks he has about 30,000 rounds, not so crazy, you never know what the future holds.

Kevin

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 03:08:34 pm »
Scott,
The exodus from NY has been happening for a while, so many have moved to south Florida that they now call it "NY South".
It seems that people are moving from all parts of the state except the NYC/Albany area, most of NY's population is in that area and that is why down state senators control all of the political descisions, they care nothing about the rest of the state.
There has been talk for years of splitting NY into two states, New York and Western New York. I think that would be best for the north and west of NY but I doubt it will happen.

Kevin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 06:20:03 pm »
This isn't the first time that ammo has become scarce from hoarder panic and won't be the last time either.  The gun and ammo manufacturers celebrate whenever one certain party is in office because it means overtime and profitability. 

And when the pendulum swings back the other way, I open my wallet and buy ammo again when the prices are back down.  Kinda like Wall Street savvy buyers, buy in a Bear Market and sell in the Bull Market.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.