Author Topic: Firearm ammunition question  (Read 14548 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Firearm ammunition question
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:11:31 am »
I don't watch the news or listen to talk radio, but I was going to take Diego hunting with our 22s.  WRONG. Apparently 22 amo and most pistol amo is nonexistent right now. Has been since December. I really don't understand. Are people stockpiling amo? And why 22 caliber?

Just plain dumb I can't buy 22 amo..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lemos

Re: Firearm ammunition question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:22:21 am »
Pain in the backside isn't it? I wanted to take my kids also and ran into the same problem. I've had two different stores tell me that they have buyers purchasing it straight from their warehouse it's not even making it to the store shelves, One person at Dick's sporting goods said it was a government buyer purchasing their ammo.Conspiracy theory? Maybe. A friend of mine suggested that due to all the gun ban scares and the fact that 22 ammo is cheap and can be used to kill just about everything if need be that is why you can't find any on the shelves, Joe public is scooping it all up. I found some ammunition by asking the stores when they stock ammunition and making sure I'm there first thing. Good luck

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:25:29 am »
Yep, people are stockpiling ammo.  I went to buy a couple bricks for the 4h smallbore shooters, the guy said" yep, I got loads of it.  $75 a brick, how many you want? "  I told him I didn't want any and that I hoped when he got home, his own mother would come out from under the porch running on all fours and bite him on the leg!   Then I walked back out.  I don't think ever did catch on to what I was implying, but I had the satisfaction of telling him what i thought even if he was too dumb to catch it.  The problem is that the 4h club is using my ammo now so the kids can shoot.  I really don't have it to spare.  Good luck Amigo,  its getting ugly out there.  Josh

Offline criveraville

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:28:05 am »
Yep. Pretty ridiculous really. We were going to shoot the 38 special too. Nope. Can't do that either. I went to Bass Pro in Grapevine yesterday and there seemed to be over 100 diff types of amo that were out. They tape stiky notes on the shelf indicating its out.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:58 am »
The Gun Ban Scare AIN'T the half of it Fellers...
You might want to take a look at what our government is doing.

1.6 Billion Rounds Of Ammo For Homeland Security? It's Time For A National Conversation...

The Denver Post, on February 15th, ran an Associated Press article entitled Homeland Security aims to buy 1.6B rounds of ammo,
so far to little notice.  It confirmed that the Department of Homeland Security has issued an open purchase order for 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition.
<<< This is story is on Forbes and other sites>>>
And DHS ain't the only governmental entity buying bullets...
There are Many other related stories out there...

Don't Aim to get political.
But Citizens don't make up the Lion's share of this Problem.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Lemos

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 03:56:54 am »
Makes you wonder what are the DHS people are stocking up for? And should we be too?

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:15:11 am »
NOAA is also stock piling... I am wishing I had ammo right now, to sell out to the public, its worth its weight in gold right now... The T shirt is right, invest in precious metals... LEAD!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:23:55 am »
Check out Natchezs Shooting supply, they have some at sensible prices.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:10 am »
Thanks Eddie  ;) will do.

Cipriano

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:53 am »
I bought about 3,000 rounds of 22's a few months back not knowing this was going to happen,22 is in my opion is the best all round suvival ammo you can have.That's why I bought it. $16.00 for 550 rounds,then. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:13:22 am »
I agree Cipriano it is chaos. I don't even spend time going to the outdoor stores in an attempt to buy any type of ammo. I still see folk at the farm store buying cases of shotgun shells if they have them just to stockpile. Between the threat of more gun control and zombie apocalypse , I'll just go knap some more ammo 8)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:14 am »
You're absolutely right Gus!  I have a hard time talking about it without really speaking my mind and crossing the line into the p-word.  So I will leave it at that.  Josh

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:35:49 pm »
It's even worse here in New York State!
 The governor and downstate senators pushed through the SAFE act in the middle of the night, ignoring the law, which requires a three day period of debate before passing a new law!

The SAFE act bans all assault type weapons, gun clips can hold no more than seven rounds(gun manufacturers do not even make these clips), pistol permits which were good for life, now have to be renewed every five years, there will be universal back round checks for all gun purchases and all AMMUNITION PURCHASES, if you purchase too much ammo your name goes on a terrorist type watch list and you risk the possibility of investigation, (They will not tell you how much ammo is too much!)
My 22 which holds 16 rounds became and illegal weapon in NYS over night! and I also just found out that my SLINGSHOT is an illegal weapon in NYS! All of the police in NYS who carry Glocks,are carrying illegal weapons! There is a provision in the SAFEact that allows Hollywood producers to bring any type of illegal weapon into the state if they are filming here, but our police departments are prohibited from having or using these weapons!
And now there is a bill going before the NYS assembly which requires gun owners to carry a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy (originally it was written as $1,000,000 PER GUN OWNED!)
All of the upstate Counties and police departments have filed protests and come out against the SAFE act!!!
Only the down state(NY City/Albany) politicians and police are for it.
We are fighting this on the state level  only, it seems that the NRA has written NYS off! There have been protests in Buffalo, Rochester and other upstate cities and 10,000 plus went to Albany to protest  and there are plans to keep protesting.

When Cuomo and Bloomberg say this is not about taking guns away from thier owners they are LIEING!!!

Only a few weeks after the SAFE act took effect they arrested an Iraq war veteran who lives only 25 miles away from me, He is a PATRIOT! A war hero and purple heart recipient who while wounded himself saved his wounded comrades! He has NEVER been in trouble with the law before and now he faces 7 years in jail for selling an AR type rifle in an under cover sting!
Usually these types of cases are prosecuted at the county level but the Cuomo administration has appointed down state(NY city/Albany) judge and prosecutors to try the case!

This is CRAZY! The gun opponents are making criminals out of ordinary, law abiding citizens! almost everyone I know is stock piling guns, ammo, food and water because we are  concerned that these draconian  anti American laws will lead to civil unrest.
Even people I talk to who do not own guns oppose the SAFE act because they see it as a threat to thier first amendment rights!
Speak with everyone you meet in your daily activities! let them know what is happening in America!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 03:43:37 pm »
Glad I'm Canadian. That's all I have to say. We've got some crappy gun laws here, but least our laws are heading the other direction. Our government just recently abolished the Long Gun Registry, a knee jerk reaction to the shootings in Quebec years ago.

But I worry for my southern neighbors. Good luck you guys.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 04:57:27 pm »
Glad I'm Canadian. That's all I have to say. We've got some crappy gun laws here, but least our laws are heading the other direction. Our government just recently abolished the Long Gun Registry, a knee jerk reaction to the shootings in Quebec years ago.

But I worry for my southern neighbors. Good luck you guys.

Slackbunny, you said a mouthfull there.  I distinctly remember when that registry was enacted.  I was at a gun show with my dad and Grandpa helping sell some of Grandpa's custom rifles.  A few guys were gathered around shooting the breeze and watching Grandpa hand checker a stock.  One of the guys started talking about the Canadian long gun registry and said that he was glad the people of the United states would never allow such draconian laws.  The next thing I heard was a growl and the sound of a checkering tool chattering off across virgin walnut.  I looked up at the guy that had made the comment and his jaw was touching his chest and eyes wide open in shock.  I turned around to see Grandpa red faced and winding up for a blistering tyrade that started with "that's exactly the foolish niavety that will have us worse off than they are and before I pass, it will happen!"  It got ugly and profane from there.  The point is, he was exactly right all those years ago.  Look at us now. :'( Josh