Author Topic: How the heck am i supposed to make a double flem?!  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Bitterguy

How the heck am i supposed to make a double flem?!
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:25:21 pm »
So I just got aggravated trying to make a double flem loop strong for like an hour and a half straight I would get the the point where the string tier would meet the twist of the second loop and it would pnch my fingers so I couldn't twist it anymore and whenever I would pull on one of the loop the strong would start to unstwist at the area previously mentioned >:( >:( >:(
And just to kick me while was down the string came put to short when I gave up and tried to timber hitch it  >:(
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I tried poor folk bows but that just confused me even more
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:39:13 pm by Pat B »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How the hell am i supposed to make a double flem?!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:19 pm »
Post some pics of your string as it is now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »
You tube has some good vids.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:47:00 pm »
Post some pics of your string as it is now.
Ill post pics of what happens when i attempt a flam tomorrow
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Newindian

Re: How the heck am i supposed to make a double flem?!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:37:46 am »
YouTube is amazing... better than duct tape
I like free stuff.

Offline Roy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:57:19 am »

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:27:30 am »
You need to lay in the first loop, then when you have laid in enough twists past the tag ends of the string, lay in the same amount of twists again. You will notice that when you start laying it the 2nd end as you make a twist it comes out of the 'extra' that you laid in on the first loop.
If you haven't done many it normally takes one practise string to get the length just right on the 2 nd go. Fastflight is way easier to use because it does stretch when you bed the string in.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:39 am »
Watch some videos on youtube.  This one helped me the most. Its a videos series and he goes into good detail.

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=e4x7W71_MQQ&list=PLXrddkruLyAhq7QQ7LPW0DQsKKt0T5gfi

Remember to add the extra "w" in the address when you search it.

Offline gpw

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:29:12 am »
  Why not just do like the Indians did and tie on the top nock (timber hitch) , then you only need one loop , and every string is a “universal” string ... 

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:58:54 pm »
So I just got aggravated trying to make a double flem loop strong for like an hour and a half straight I would get the the point where the string tier would meet the twist of the second loop and it would pnch my fingers so I couldn't twist it anymore and whenever I would pull on one of the loop the strong would start to unstwist at the area previously mentioned >:( >:( >:(
And just to kick me while was down the string came put to short when I gave up and tried to timber hitch it  >:(
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I tried poor folk bows but that just confused me even more
Bitter,
Here is a link on how to do it without any jigs or even a tape measure. I don't know much about building bows but I do make all my own strings for the bows I build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyPOikbBvA
When the guy gets to the part when he twists the string on his pant leg ignore it as I have tried it and it makes a mess that isn't right  for me. I just continue to twist the string just like when he twists in the first loop. Then watch closely when he gets to the final loop and how he braids it back into itself. If this is not done right the string will come apart. If your bow is say 69 nock to nock what I do is pull off as long as I am tall or the span of my arms outstretched from side to side then add the lenght of one arm to that length and it works for me.
When you have most of the string twisted loop the string on your bow and pull it snug up the bow to about 3.75 - 4 inches from the nock end of your bow. this is where you begin to make your second loop. braid about 4 inches back into itself and you now have a bow string. twist or un twist till you have the brace you need to get good arrow flight (about 6- 7 inches. for me). Shoot the bow with out serving for about 50 shots which will allow the string to stretch a little after that serve it up. You can find serving diy in you tube as well.
I like the KISS method of not using a tape measure for my strings. If the string is a little too long or short just build another and make it a little shorter/ longer. If you end up with a string too long just build another bow for it ;)
Also one of the loops needs to be a little bigger than the other. Don't make either too big though. Use your bow as a guide.
Hope ya can git er done in time for warmer weather so you can bow fish with it or even turkey hunt depending on where you live.  :)14 strands is plenty for a 50 - 60 lb bow. I don't care for a timber hitch unless I am making a tillering string as that is one more thing to go wrong when you are at full draw with a nice deer or turkey at 15 yards, I have enuf trouble hitting the buggers as it is.

Hope this helps,
Greg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:02:15 pm by twisted hickory »

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 12:45:03 am »
Bitter,
Here is a link on how to do it without any jigs or even a tape measure. I don't know much about building bows but I do make all my own strings for the bows I build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyPOikbBvA
When the guy gets to the part when he twists the string on his pant leg ignore it as I have tried it and it makes a mess that isn't right  for me. I just continue to twist the string just like when he twists in the first loop. Then watch closely when he gets to the final loop and how he braids it back into itself. If this is not done right the string will come apart. If your bow is say 69 nock to nock what I do is pull off as long as I am tall or the span of my arms outstretched from side to side then add the lenght of one arm to that length and it works for me.
When you have most of the string twisted loop the string on your bow and pull it snug up the bow to about 3.75 - 4 inches from the nock end of your bow. this is where you begin to make your second loop. braid about 4 inches back into itself and you now have a bow string. twist or un twist till you have the brace you need to get good arrow flight (about 6- 7 inches. for me). Shoot the bow with out serving for about 50 shots which will allow the string to stretch a little after that serve it up. You can find serving diy in you tube as well.
I like the KISS method of not using a tape measure for my strings. If the string is a little too long or short just build another and make it a little shorter/ longer. If you end up with a string too long just build another bow for it ;)
Also one of the loops needs to be a little bigger than the other. Don't make either too big though. Use your bow as a guide.
Hope ya can git er done in time for warmer weather so you can bow fish with it or even turkey hunt depending on where you live.  :)14 strands is plenty for a 50 - 60 lb bow. I don't care for a timber hitch unless I am making a tillering string as that is one more thing to go wrong when you are at full draw with a nice deer or turkey at 15 yards, I have enuf trouble hitting the buggers as it is.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Thank you so much for that video. What i was doing was trying to twist in my second loop like i did my first one. But after watching that video I did what he did and i made a beautiful flemish twist string! Now to make a another one that is actually the right size for my bow haha
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Roy

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:25 am »
Hate to say it but that is not the way to make a good Flemish string. Sure it will make a string but not a good looking round string. Did you even look at the link I posted above? Here it is again.
https://www.rmsgear.com/store/pc/tutorial_string_2bundle.asp

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:27:22 am »
Is that just an aesthetic thing? I personally like the look of a more cabled strong albeit not nearly as loose as he made his look.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Roy

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 02:56:23 am »
Well make your cabled string and then serve it in the middle for your arrow nocking point, and see how rough your serving lays on the string and then you tell me if you still like cabled strings:)

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 04:42:35 am »
That youtube video isn't very good at all. Sure you'll get a functioning string but he missed a lot of little things out that go to make a quality string.