Author Topic: Hickory boardbow  (Read 3559 times)

Offline crwjr

Hickory boardbow
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:12 am »
this is how far I have come with my first boardbow. and really first bow every I do have a honey locust in the works but took a break from it to do this one. the support board is 22.5" and I am not sure of the poundage yet. Im guessing around 40-45 right now. I would like to know if this tillering is going good so far and if you see anything that needs to be done I am very new to this and not sure of what it should look like in this stage. I will try to build a tillering tree later today but we were hit with some snow today so its kinda slow going. so far the bow is flexing kinda heavy but evenly. Thanks everyone Carter
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Hickory boardbow
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »
That's looking pretty darn good to me. You are awfully close to having yourself a bow!

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:14 pm »
Looks pretty good. Shorten your string up to where you get about a 4-5 inch brace height and then see what it looks like.

Offline crwjr

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:47 pm »
Looks pretty good. Shorten your string up to where you get about a 4-5 inch brace height and then see what it looks like.
Thanks everybody, I just shortened up to about a two inch brace height and it was a bear to put on. I believe I got a bit more wood to remove. When should I try to get it to full draw?
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:27 pm »
ya the bend looks pretty good but it does look a little thick.  Is it going to be a bendy or stiff handle?  That matters a lot because as you can see right now it's bending some in the middle.   It looks like you've narrowed the grip area a little?  If you try to turn it into a stiff handle at this point, you may have issues with the riser popping off, unless you take quite a bit of wood off the mid/outer limbs and reduce the strain on the middle 10-12 inches.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »
1) draw the bow 50 times at the current draw length
2) check the tiller (fix if needed)
3) if good draw 50 times to 1 inch further...
repeat until you hit your target draw length & weight

Looks great so far good luck with it!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline crwjr

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:01:26 pm »

here is my tiller tree its not much to look at but it helped a lot this afternoon. My Hickory bow has now got a brace height of 5" and I can almost reach my full draw. Im thinking in the photo the outer limbs to the tips my need a bit more taking off??
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 05:27:50 pm »
   Tips look fine...what's your weight now?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline crwjr

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:35:14 pm »
   Tips look fine...what's your weight now?
Im not sure dont have a scale. Im going to guess its around #50 easy
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 05:44:08 pm »
  I would work on getting it braced to around 6 to 6 1/2" and take a look. Maybe shoot it some but definitely wouldn't mess with the tips.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline crwjr

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 05:49:48 pm »
Will do, thanks for the heads up on the tips. I would have gone to town with them lol. What makes a good homemade bowstring. I got paracord right now and it is way to stretchy for my likings.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 05:59:50 pm »
   Do you have string making skills? If so order some material from an archery dealer of your choice. If not order a string around 3" shorter than your bow. Have you measured your actual draw length by putting an arrow on and getting someone to mark it? The full draw pic looks a few inches shorter than the 28 on the tiller tree. When I first started I tillered my bow and weight to 28 and later found out I was around 26.

Offline crwjr

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 06:38:52 pm »
Im going by my modern equipment size's, I am 28" I finally can get this one to full draw with a brace height of 6-3/4" and shot about a dozen (carbon) arrows out of it. tell you what my fingers are not liking this to well lol I will be getting a finger tab SOON.
Here she is at the proper brace height

This is what I want to do with maybe not this one but hopefully one of my handmade bows, (this was done with a Mathews Monster 7.0)
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 10:13:11 pm »
To my novice eye your brace looks good! Now lets see some full draw pictures.  :laugh:
Always learning something new.

Offline randman

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »
Braced profile looks pretty good. On the pic on the tree, the left limb looks pretty good, the right one needs scrapin in the inner 1/3 toward the grip. It looks a little hingey in the middle of the right limb. Other than that looks like it's coming along. Can we see a pic of the back profile? How narrow is that grip?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.