Author Topic: Broke a bow this weekend  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Broke a bow this weekend
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:53:38 pm »
A friend was over and we were talking about bows, so I decided to show off a few that I brought to school with me. I strung up one and showed the full draw of it to them, this was a bow I just made. Then I pulled down one that I have been shooting over the last few months. Strung it up and was warming up the limbs with short draws and when I go to pull it back I got to about 25" and BANG. The bow blew apart into 4 pieces. The bow was heat treated white ash made into a molle. I'm not surprised with where it broke just the when. I had just had it out a couple days before and put quite a few arrows through it. But it broke at a knot in the back of the limb that had a horizontal crack form when I first started working on it a couple years ago. At the time I didn't know how to deal with it so I put it up for a while. I tried fixing it by filling it with super glue. It held for several hundred to 1000 shots before the big bang. You can see in the pic that the break started at the crack, then took off. I don't know how but ended up getting a cut on my hand. It wasn't deep but sure did bleed. I think where the lever tip broke off must have slid across my palm since a couple pieces flew forward and the main limb dropped straight down. Well now for the pics.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Broke a bow this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:48:40 pm »
Welcome to the club!  ;D  Too bad you got cut but I bet it was exciting.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:34 am »
  YEB that blew up real good.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:15:10 am »
That wasn't my first bow I broke, but definitely my biggest break. I guess if I'm gonna do something might as well make it big. Definitely got my heart pounding.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:59:49 am »
That stinks,probably should have wrapped it,hind sight is always 20x20. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:21:44 am »
I had one hit me right on the head when it snapped on the tillering board. That one rattled me a bit.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:28:44 am »
Sorry to hear that..it happens to everybody...I remember you posting that bow and my opinion of it was it was slightly poor tillered and under designed...and in my opinion that's why it let loose and the majority contributing factor

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:40:35 am »
I've drawn blood on most of my even successful bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!