Author Topic: Tillering questing  (Read 1169 times)

Offline crwjr

Tillering questing
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:05:31 pm »
I found a beautiful Hickory board today and got it cut out. Its a standard flatbow style 1.5" out to the mid limb and then tapers down to 3/4" tips. I believe its ready for the tiller board. This is really my first bow that has gotten this far. I have place a loose string on it and laid it on the floor to pull it a few times. It is very stiff still. I did tapper the limbs down from the end of the handle to the tips. I have scrapped and filed a little on it but I dont see a big difference. I dont want to go to far and im not sure how the limbs should look right not flex wise! should I put a tight string on it and try to get the brace height where I want it?? I need help I want this one to turn out to be a shooter. Its 66" TTT and I would like to end up with a #50 at 28" draw. I dont have a tiller tree set up yet. any help with the next step would be great thanks Carter
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Tillering questing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:09:16 pm »
After laying out your design and cutting the board to the correct dimensions width-wise, it's time to start floor tillering. It sounds like that's the next step for you! It means you'll scrape off wood until the blank starts bending, but is still way too stiff. Run a (google) search for 'floor tiller[ing]' and you'll find a lot of stuff.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:13:00 pm »
Pics of the side and back profile will help. You just have to continue removing wood until the limbs bend evenly and together. Exercise the bow after each wood removal but don't pull it past the intended draw weight. Once you get the tips to move 6" to 8" and everything is close you should be able to low brace the bow to about 3"-4". At that point you will really be able to judge your bow as far as string tracking and evenly bending limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crwjr

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:20:11 pm »
with the loose string I laid it on the floor and pulled upward holding the handle with my foot. I guessed it at well under my draw weight but I could only get the tips about 3-4" off the ground. the limbs seem to be bending relatively even. I guess im at the stage that makes or breaks a good bowyer lol when should I build a tillering tree and put the bow on it?
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:23:34 pm »
A tiller tree will help you out now so you can stand back safely and view how the limbs are bending.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:33:42 pm »
The pulley system is by far the best way to go,but all I have ever used is a simple notched 2x4.very cheap and made in ten minutes.not trying to set u up with bad habits,just saying it will work in a pinch!excuse my lack of artistic talent ,but I think you will get the point.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline crwjr

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:24 pm »
The pulley system is by far the best way to go,but all I have ever used is a simple notched 2x4.very cheap and made in ten minutes.not trying to set u up with bad habits,just saying it will work in a pinch!excuse my lack of artistic talent ,but I think you will get the point.
Thanks bushboy, I will probably put one together tomorrow my arms are killing me from all the Knifing, scrapping, and filling. I am whooped. I should just scrape wood away for now until it bends a bit more, or should I get a little more aggressive with the wood removal, I will work on some pics and try to figure out how to post them for now. Mind you they will be of my foot on the bow laying on the ground lol

Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:50:42 pm »
Not sure if I am gonna get in deep by posting pics from the bibles ,am sure someone will give me a what4 if it's a prob! Here's floor tillering
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline crwjr

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:21:53 pm »

I hope these finally show up!!! can anyone tell me if im doing it wrong or right? Thanks
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small