Author Topic: Started BBO recurve bow. What is a good length?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Started BBO recurve bow. What is a good length?
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:00:46 am »
I got sent a set of those Osage boards from 3Rivers.  I've decided make a boo backed osage recurve as close to the ones Konrad Voegelle (google him for his site) makes.  I just love those.  I was getting ready to splice it and then got all tripped up on length decisions. 

I'm going to heat bend the recurves.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Started BBO recurve bow. What is a good length?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:42:33 am »
Those are some pretty bows. You didn't mention the draw length you were shooting for?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:43:46 am »
28"

he had photos of people with his bows.  And I want to say the recurves were migger than I would have thought.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:57:20 am »
From the RECURVE chapter in TBBII...."Prehaps the best trade-off between speed and accuracy is a recurve of 60" to 64", measured before the tips are bent(this is for a 28" draw)".
  There is a lot of good info in this chapter about recurves and the previous chapter on bending wood.
  Also, check out Dean Torges video  "Hunting The Bamboo Backed Bow".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 12:24:17 pm »
Thanks,

I was poking through pics of his stuff and found one that had the length 64" written on it. 

Well he's the champ for a reason I guess.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:20:04 pm »
You do have to realize that a recurve adds a lot more stress to a bow so work carefully as you tiller and exercise the bow well with each wood removal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:20 pm »
You do have to realize that a recurve adds a lot more stress to a bow so work carefully as you tiller and exercise the bow well with each wood removal.

Yep exactly it puts a lot more compression force on the wood so recurves are better for higher quality bow woods like Osage do he should be okay if he uses Osage
I like osage