Author Topic: Mildly twisty serviceberry  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Accipiter

Mildly twisty serviceberry
« on: March 23, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »
This ones a long bow for me, 60" ntn, made out of a serviceberry stave with a bit of twist and also a bit off center. I tried to work both of those quirks out with little success, although after a few arrows it seems very shootable. Also, my first bow with side nocks. Currently 49# at 26". Pretty fun working with wood thats bigger around than my thumb for a change!

Any thoughts on tiller before I heat treat?

Offline BL

Re: Mildly twisty serviceberry
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 03:36:44 pm »
Top limb looks a little whippy to me about 6"-12" from the tip.  Some of these other guys could tell you better on that, but you've got a nice smooth bend.  Looking good!

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »
That looks great.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »
Yes you need to get the middle bending !! You have what's called whip tiller going on
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »
I agree with the little more bend in the middle half of the bow.  Is that a side nock or did you cut into the back?  If that's cut into the back, it is a potential failure point, especially with the limb bending right out to it.  Josh

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 06:35:07 pm »
Sounds good on the middle, I've just been a little paranoid since most of my bows end up with too much bend there. Also those are definitely side nocks - nocks cut in the back would be bad time for sure!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »
Glad to hear that those are side nocks!  Nice touch.  I hear you about too much bend in the handle.  I try to keep a the center third just a smidgen flatter than the rest as well.  Looking pretty good so far.  Josh

Offline BL

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:12:14 pm »
Is the top limb the one on the left in the picture on the bed?  I was looking at it again, and if it is, the spot I'm seeing is directly down from the wall outlet.  The other limb looks really even.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 05:41:40 pm »
Nice to see someone use this great wood! The tiller is a little whip-ended for my taste. I would suggest heat treating the later 3rd of each limb quite heavily. (to a nice deep brown.) Then brace it up after it's cool and that area should be stiffer and the tiller should be perfect. You can then lightly heat treat the rest of the limb if you want, that way you won't have to remove any wood.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.