Author Topic: Need to be learned!  (Read 1089 times)

Offline crwjr

Need to be learned!
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:03:16 am »
I would like to watch/work with a Bowyer who knows what they are doing! Is there any get together's where people can come to learn the art of bow making? In the I Indiana or surrounding area?
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Need to be learned!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:23:52 am »
Yes, we need to be learned possibly by reading the classics, crwjr. The first book I ever read was Tom Sawyer. I was 10 years old and that puts it around 1958...right when Ma and Dad bought me my first bow. Tom Sawyer was a great book for a young boy to read. I thrilled to Tom Sawyer's adventures. That book was followed by many others including Ivanhoe, the Leatherstocking tales and the Black Rose. Books will make you learned. I heard a lady, a few weeks ago, say I was a very learned man. That was interesting because I never though of myself in that way.

Some need to be taught bowmaking which is fine. I had an accomplished bowyer help me a little and it was good. He taught me things you don't learn in books. Things like the importance of tillering a bow with more than your sense of vision.

Years ago, I started building bows as a hobby. I read many books on bow making- some of the old books and lots of the new books. I've slowed down now with bowyering. Age makes even taking off sapwood a bit of a chore. But...I have my books. 

I need to make a bow this year after my back stops hurting. I may be ready soon. I'll go slowly.

It's also time to write some more articles for the PA magazine. Writing took a back seat to helping my younger brother through cancer. He passed away last September. I'm writing this post teary eyed.

My site has buildalongs and perhaps you can use it to help you. Maybe I can teach you through it. I don't live in Indiana though I did attend Army Reserve meetings there in the 70's while in grad school in Ohio. Nice state.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html

This post was brought to you by a strong cup of coffee. It's time for another. Check my site and ask questions on here, as there many accomplished bowyers present or to me. I won't be so long winded. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crwjr

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:36:46 am »
I would like to say sorry for your lost George, I have checked out your site a few times now and it's full of great info! Ill be on it a lot as I learn. I thought the title of this thread would be catchy enough to get some attention lol. I would love to learn hands on next to a great bow builder. It looks like I may go at it alone. I don't think I'd be the first person to have to learn that way! I just have so much hope for a project to end in a pile of firewood. Is there any kind of gathering to trade, buy/sell goods? We have a local pow wow but it's more for show! And thanks again George for your reply! Carter
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:53 am »
If you can make it to the classic the end of next month in Tenn, you can have three days to work with some of the best bowyers there are and take a bow home as well???

Offline crwjr

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:44:54 am »
If you can make it to the classic the end of next month in Tenn, you can have three days to work with some of the best bowyers there are and take a bow home as well???
Man I would live to! Can pass on the info dates and where is it held? Thanks for the heads up!
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline sadiejane

wild women don't get the blues

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 01:05:47 pm »
Start with a board .. a nice straight grained red oak will do just fine. Let the handle bend... no glued on pieces. there's a buildalong on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »
Anyway, crw, you are not alone. I wish I had this site when I started. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas