Author Topic: Red osier shafts for 60 lb self bow  (Read 1671 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Red osier shafts for 60 lb self bow
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »
Hello,
I am planning on making up half dozen red osier arrows for my half finished 60 lb self bow. I don't have a spine checker but have found that a 540 gr red osier shaft works good at 29 bop with a 27 inch draw on a 50 lb bow. Does any one have a grain wt recommendation? I think I will try for 600 gr for 60 lb and see how they work. I wish I had a spine checker but haven't had the time to build one with all the bow building ::)
any suggestions would be welcome.
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red osier shafts for 60 lb self bow
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 12:03:23 am »
The natural taper of the red osier makes them more tolerant of different draw weights. Also if you leave the arrows long they seem to get around the bow easier. You can find one arrow that flies well for you and match the deflection on the other shafts by sanding to weaken the spine if necessary.
  Try to figure out which side is the stiffest. You can do this by placing the point end of a table and holding the shaft at about 45deg at the nock press at the center and feel the resistance. Now turn it 1/4 turn and check again and so on for all four sides. Figure out which side is stiffer and cut the nock so that stiff side of the arrow is against the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:24:25 am »
Thanks pat. I am gonna put half dozen together for my new bow and see what happens. Hope fully I can get a turkey with them. I need a little advice over in the bow section.
Thanks,
Greg  ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
As far as grain weight goes twisted limbs I make em the weight that I shoot most of the time.Either for target or hunting.Both are close to the same.Within 40 to 50 grains of each other over all.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »
Yes,
I have found that for a 50 lb bow about 10 grains per pound seems to make red osier fly good with 5.50 fletching and 125 gr points. I may try a taperd shaft for 60lb bow.
greg