Author Topic: Anyone done a bow outta yellow locust?  (Read 5371 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Anyone done a bow outta yellow locust?
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:30:31 pm »
I have access to a mountain of BL and I've made a couple of bows from it before that were given away. So I've been thinking on if yellow locust could make a good potential bow wood. Any thoughts?
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Anyone done a bow outta yellow locust?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:22 pm »
What is yellow locust? You're also using the abbreviation "BL", which I assume means black locust. What scientific name does yellow locust have? Never heard that term before.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:30:21 pm »
I'm Guessing you are refering to honey or sunburst?. I have some staves , but haven't tried them yet. Beautiful colour.Nothing like black locust. Seems more like Oak /Ash/Elm sort of stuff.Have you tried the seach bar?

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »
I'm pretty sure Yellow Locust is the same species as Black Locust, both Robinia pseudoacacia. Honey Locust is Gleditsia triacanthos.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:24:22 am »
Thanks Gabe. Its great to see the proper name for specific woods, the ONLY true name.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:39:59 am »
My father always calls black locust yellow locust. Had me confused when i first started into bow making.
Steve Bennett

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 01:45:20 am »
Sorry guys I meant honey locust. Around here some people call it yellow locust.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:47:15 am »
intrestig. Honey Locust seeems more like White Wood than BL. It is also weaker, and rots easier too.
The entire Locust family is very resistant to rot though.
Try making an ash-weight bow from it as a test.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:35:36 am »
Made one outta Honey locust along time ago in the way back machine well ok, maybe only five years ago or so.  Anyway  here is the only pic and its not a good one:

The wood worked pretty easily, it seemed very dense and took little set. Also very beautiful.  I left on the sap wood which contrasted nicely with the yellow heartwood, but you can't see that from the pic.  This bow was 44# at 28 inches and 62" ntn.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 05:09:23 am »
intrestig. Honey Locust seeems more like White Wood than BL. It is also weaker, and rots easier too.
The entire Locust family is very resistant to rot though.
Try making an ash-weight bow from it as a test.

What do you mean 'an ash weight bow'??
Ash will make any weight of bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47:16 am »
I have made a few Honey Locust years ago,You use the sap wood in them,at least I did as with BL you use the heart wood,may be in the same family but not near the same wood. It made a OK bow,just make it a little wider and longer and
the limbs are a little thicker for the same weight,at least that was my experience with it.  :)  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:17 am »
Thanks everyone I'm glad that some of you have made bows from it and they turned out good. Well honestly if no one had I would've been too hard headed to not try anyway LOL. I've git a real nice long and knot free stave to start working on. Ill post pics as I go along. Any advice for this particular wood other that the advice given by pappy? Which I appreciate Pappy. Thanks!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 07:56:50 am »
I meant ash style- width, etc. That cross section can be done with any wood, and it is pretty good.
Or so I gained when reading TBB vol 1.
I am about to try that with ash- maybe a 45-50 pounder, not sure yet.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 09:11:26 am »
I meant ash style- width, etc. That cross section can be done with any wood, and it is pretty good.
-Squirrel

What's an ash style bow?...never heard of it..and how does style have anything to do with a weight of a bow?..and what cross section are you referring to?..and how do you know its good?.....you seem to be digging yourself a nice lil hole here....maybe gain some more experience before trying to regurgitate some misinterpreted stuff you read online somewhere or in a book.....;)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 10:55:05 am »
-Squirrel

What's an ash style bow?...never heard of it..and how does style have anything to do with a weight of a bow?..and what cross section are you referring to?..and how do you know its good?.....you seem to be digging yourself a nice lil hole here....maybe gain some more experience before trying to regurgitate some misinterpreted stuff you read online somewhere or in a book.....;)

I think there might be a case of mistaken identity here. That isn't squirrelslayer. This guy actually seems to know a thing or two.

I think he was just meaning that you should treat it like ash when making design decisions.