Author Topic: oven bake cane shafts ( with pics! )  (Read 4060 times)

Offline sleek

oven bake cane shafts ( with pics! )
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:33:31 am »
Well, in an idea to help find a way to speed dry some cane shafts, I have decided to try to bake them. I looked up the combustion point for paper and found it to be 450 degees F. I am using 225 right now. I am trying one shaft right now. I weighed it at 30 grams which converts to 462 grains. It is 29 inches long, which is the longest my oven will hold. I put it in the oven at 12:58 AM. I will pull it out in 30 min to check weight loss. And continue to do so until weight loss stops.

30 minutes later.... The shaft is now down to 24 grams or 369 grains. I havent seen any splitting yet, though it is for sure warping a bit. Will require straightening, but it needed that to start with.  Back in for another 30 min...

After another 30 min... Its now down to 20 grams or 308 grains. It seems that moisture loss is slowing down after the first 30 min.

Another 30 min later... after the last 30 min I took the shaft out the oven and noticed it started to turn brown a bit. Just slightly. I put it on the scale again and no weight was lost. Still right at 20 grams/308 grains.

I know this was just one shaft, but off this little test I will say that a person could reasonably expect to dry bamboo shafts in the oven inside an hour. I would recommend bundling them together in groups tied with a natural fiber chord to help prevent warpage. Obviously a bundle will take longer than one to dry, but consider these two things.  1, I dried all the water out, not just allowing it to reach ambient humidity as would be with natural drying, and 2, this was an 1 1/2 hour experiment, but it was dry all the way before I took it out the oven after its first hour. That being said, I bet a bundle of 10 or so could dry inside an hour.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:01:13 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TRACY

Re: oven bake cane shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:13:31 am »
Good to know if all you had we're green shafts. Could probably put them in a hotbox if you have one made up for staves.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:24 pm »
Tracy I was thinking the same thing. 

or make a small solar oven  >:D

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »
Here is the trick I have used to dry them in a month instead of 6-
simply place the canes in a piece of pipe, put lightbulbs at both ends.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:10 pm »
Ah, just stuck 12 cane shafts in the oven. Any risk of fire?
250 degrees about 28 inches long...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »
Just so long as it's Fahrenheit and not Celsius. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:45:34 pm »
I only went up to 225, so thats all my tests are valid for. However, you should be fine, so long as you do what Tim just said :) It would help you to weigh them first and after, that way, when they stop loosing weight, you know they are bone dry... They do start to turn a little brownish when the water is all the way out also. Please tell me you wrapeed them with a natural fiber chord? ( Unless they are just sitting in there loose ) Plastic will melt...

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »
Nope, no wrap. Just a rawhide tie so they do not roll about.
I looked up the ignition point of bamboo, varies per species, but for most it is around 300 degrees F.
Keep it around 250 for an hour, and they turn out beautiful. I straightened them as I removed them from oven;)
I will have to finish the straightening, in TBB it warns about trying to do it all at once, I did break 2 of them. will get 8-10 useable arrows from 12 cut, not bad.
-Squirrel

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »
Right on, glad it worked out for ya.... Post pics when your done.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:47:13 pm »
Sleek, I didn't see this thread before I sent you the PM.  It appears the goal of heating was to dry them.  I have a hotbox that I've been using for that.  thanks.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:03 pm »
You sent sent me a PM? I didnt see it? But, yes, it is to dry them...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:58:32 am by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 01:00:36 am »
So, how much can you scrape down on a shaft to decrease its spine before it gets to thin to be stable? I am finding many of my shafts to be too strong. I may just straighten them and put them up here for trade if nothing else...

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:30 am »
Well, keep this in mind- River cane has a tough outer skin that makes up most of its strength. Scrape it all the way gone, no more strength. so go slow, and carefully test every few mins or so.
also, I would trade for overspined shafts. I can attach very heavy heads...
-Squirrel

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:28 am »
Might make a deal with you then... And this is switch cane I am dealing with fwi... dont know if that changes things or not?

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 01:00:44 am »
Here is my first arrow from this batch. It came in finished at 431 grains. I do not know the spine, but I worry its a bit much... We shall see. It is 29 inches long. It is two fletch, wrapped with the only string I had, braided fishing line soaked in ca glue. The self nock is cut down to a node on this one, but that wont always be possible on all the shafts I make. There is a 3 inch longforshaft inserted into the front. The taper is wide t the point and narrow to the nock.