Author Topic: another load of osage ( new pics added todays load biggest ever)  (Read 22754 times)

Offline osagejack

Re: another load of osage ( new pics added todays load biggest ever)
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »
carson here is a photo of the type os bark I am looking for,,to me it is what I call healthy looking bark,,it rarely lets me down,,  and the other photo of the rings,, I am starting to get tired sooner,,i think I got maybe 75 staves today,,i plan on hitting it hard tomorrow,,snowing here today with 30mph winds,,made my eyes water,,getting to old,, not as tough as I used to be,,

Offline osagejack

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2013, 09:06:57 pm »
here is the photo of todays staves, and one of the nice logs I found,, the pouland  strikes again

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:25 am »
That's A LOT of pretty yellow wood!

Wow.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Marks

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »
I may not be cut out for this bow wood harvesting. On our property I only look for small trees up to a foot or so in diameter maybe a little more. I don't have the heart to cut down those Huge gnarly osage trees found on the old home places. They have too much history. It hurts my heart to see a +100yr old tree come down whether by mother nature or by pouland. Have you ever counted rings on some of the big boys? I'd be interested to know how old osage get.

Offline osagejack

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 04:01:41 pm »
 I have counted rings on some bigones close to a 100rings,,i looked at one near Nashville the owner says well over 100year old its probably 4ft dia,,  all the farms I cut osage on they are  a unwanted tree,, I have there permission to cut any or all trees,, I will cut any size tree,,i like them around 20in I like the inside splits,,

Offline osagejack

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2013, 04:05:34 pm »
some photos from today,,managed to get 60 or 70,, had a flat on 4wheeler couldn't haul them out ,,split some of the straightes and cleanest I have ever seen,,

Offline osagejack

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 04:16:09 pm »
photo of some nice second growth osage,,I think I put to much osage on the 4wheeler,,blew out a tire,

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 04:18:47 pm »
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of price will you ask for, for primo pieces at Twin Oaks?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Marks

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2013, 04:56:15 pm »
The vast majority of really large diameter osage on our farm are on old home places. It is old plantation land. Lot of old long since gone home places. In these old home places you ALWAYS find buttercups, cedar trees and Osage trees. I can tell you before I even find the home ruble when I come to one. Another strange thing to me they typically are fairly void of undergrowth even after all these years.

I certainly wasn't putting you down for cutting them. I don't think you thought I was but I want to make sure. I love seeing the pics. I guess I just get sentimental. haha. I wish I was coing to the classic to see it in person.  I'm waiting till fall to dig up some irises I found in an old home place under and osage tree. I wish they could tell me some stories because I know they have seen a lot.

Keep up the good work. 

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2013, 05:44:03 pm »
Dude, I think you need to have a sale on osage next year.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2013, 10:32:10 pm »
    you guys are awesome, i know this thread is going to end, but i wish it wouldn't . thanks for posting

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2013, 08:36:42 am »
Nice job Mike,you have been busy it looks like, See ya in a month or so. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osagejack

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
been peeling staves all day,,going to split some this eve,,then hit it hard tomorrow,,i forgot how much I disliked peeling sapwood,,,

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »
That looks like some sweet oasge...and a lot of it!  I am going to cut yew tomorrow and my back is hurting already just looking at your pics. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osagejack

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »
this is why I like large trees inside splits ,,this chunk is part of one log,,  took the inside split off first then split in half  this is the most perfect osage I have ever seen,,clean wood splits so easy :laugh: