Author Topic: another load of osage ( new pics added todays load biggest ever)  (Read 22752 times)

Offline osagejack

Re: another load of osage ( new pics added todays load biggest ever)
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 10:49:34 pm »
had to check under hood,,that load was a strain on the old truck,,

Offline dbb

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2013, 09:04:43 am »
Im so envious its a wonder the text dont come out green!
Jokes aside ,congrats to the motherlode!
Wish that stuff were growing here.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:41 am »
Great pictures, no easy job collecting that much osage. Seeing all that osage cut and split is making me wish I was your neighbor. ;D 
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2013, 10:41:41 am »
I quess you can rest later osagejack.The fencing people here in southern Iowa earn they're keep too cutting hedge.It's young man's work for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 10:44:02 am »
It is worth a trip to Tin Oaks just to lay eyes on Mike's wood.

You can tell by the big smile I am in osage heaven, a bow makers dream world.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »
Wow....shure is purdy....but it makes me sit in pain ,hands ,arms,and back! ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osagejack

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 08:20:58 pm »
those are some great pictures eric,,that load was small,,everyone needs to come to the tn classic this year,,we are going to bring not only the biggest load of osage but the best and cleanest wood I have ever had,,got about 200 more staves today,,i forgot my camera,,today,,i think I am going to take a nap ::)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 10:18:48 am »
That does look like one of the best loads I've laid eyes on. We've got 6 or 7 nice 10-15" dia trees marked that need to get cut. I think were planning a little run next weekend to make it happen. I also noticed a north/south hedge row that has been bulldozed about 2 miles north of me. I need to get over there and see the owner before he starts pilling it up and see if there is anything in there worth saving. I'm sure theres one or two.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline osagejack

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2013, 12:21:49 pm »
better get to cutting the sap is coming up here in tennessee

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: another load of osage ( new pics added)
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2013, 01:39:19 pm »
you need lots of osage to pick over only 1 out of a 1000 is good enough for bows,,it takes 1000s of trees to cut these loads,,

Now you are starting to sound like one of those annoying yew wood cutters  ;)

Wish I was headed to the TN classic.  Maybe next year. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osagejack

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:32 pm »
most guys that don't cut osage don't realize how many trees you go threw to get a good one,,i have very high standards when it comes to bow wood,,i have heard people say all osage is good,,thats not the case,,it really upsets me to see guys with poor quality osage,, I pride myself with getting the best osage I can to make those bows that bring a smile to there face  ,I wish we had yew here in tn  that would give me something to do on my day off,,, just kidding I don't take days  off 8)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2013, 11:27:27 am »
I like your high standards.  I am getting ready to go see If I can cut this oregon osage I have located.  What do you look for in a osage tree before cutting it?  What makes you pass one up that might look good to the rookie? 

BTW, That is a some impressive haul you have there!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osagejack

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:45 pm »
the biggest thing I am looking for is quality of the wood,by this I am looking at earlywood late wood ratio I don't care is the wood is crooked or twisted,,snakey,,  the only thing that matters is early wood latewood ratio,,every thing else can be fixed,,but if u start with bad wood there is not much room for improvement,,  the best way I tell before cutting is the bark,, good wood has healthy bark,,once you see in you will recognize it,, another way is to cut a small wedge near the ground it wont kill the tree,,and you can see the grain,,i am headed to cut some osage now I will post u a pic of healthy osage tree and a photo of the rings,,will b later tonite b4  I post pic,,,hope this help 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2013, 02:07:02 pm »
Now I love seeing a good osage harvest post.  There is nothing better than seeing someone with a big pile of osage logs, or any kind of bow wood for that matter.  But I can't decide if this post is showing a great winter of osage harvesting or if you are using this post just as free advertising for the osage you are going to be selling at the Classic.   :-\

Seems to be a few people that only show up on here when they have a new DVD out or something else to sell.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2013, 03:04:42 pm »
I never tire of watching the harvesting bow wood. I found out with my last tree that I am over the hill for such activity but still find excitement in watching others and their search for treasure, be it cutting osage, prospecting for gold or looking for valuable antiques in an old barn.

Keep those pictures coming Mike. Any of us who have cut and split a truckload of osage on a 95 degree day down south(I have many times in my younger days) always get excited just looking at some really great wood and love watching the process to obtain it unfold.