Author Topic: Serviceberry Semi-Gullwing bow  (Read 17972 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Serviceberry Semi-Gullwing bow
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 06:14:41 pm »
I used to weigh my bows the way you've been doing and when I met someone with an accurate scale I was shocked to find out all my bows were about twenty pounds lighter then I thought. I agree it would be hard to get an accurate weight using that method.
SW Utah

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »
Thanks for the comments!

thanks for the nice words Dale

Thanks Horse Thief Killer. Yeah it's one of my best shooters for sure.

Pearl I guess i should buy a digital scale. I saw a video on Youtube and the guy from Boarrior Bows showed weighing a bow with the bathroom scale vs the hanging scale and there was like a 2-3# difference. For me that's a not significant to worry about sense i don't really care about the numbers. All my arrows have seemed to do fine, should i get higher spines?

Thanks Dwardo, if i got a digital scale it would be way easier to read anyway lol.

Thanks Danny

Jmilbrandt did you weigh it by pulling the bow down with the handle resting on the stick or the other way around? You'll get 20 lbs heavier if you weigh it pulling down that way.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 10:03:03 pm »
I kind of have trouble believing the draw weights of your posts Zion. 

Offline bow101

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 11:07:49 pm »
Oh come on Zion 90# @ 24........... ;D  You probably don't know your own strenght.! That bow has to be around 110#  ::)  :o 8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zion

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:52 pm »
Well i'm just posting what my scale is telling me. Not trying to lie and look like a badass. I guess since my weighing methods are innacurate all i know is that my bows are heavy. I work with a lot of heavy weights and some of my bows are a challenge so I know i'm not ripping you guys off with 40 pounders. I don't even care anyway. They shoot good and i know they can kill quite a few things. I think too much time can be spent brooding over numbers.

Thanks bow101. I'm not quite up that far yet lol.

Offline randman

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:52 pm »
Yeah your bows are great at any weight Zion. Keep signin up for the bow trade so I can keep hopin to get my hands on a Zion bow some day.. >:D You are in the bow trade this year aren't ya?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 12:28:03 am »
 I agree with you Zion I never used to weigh my bows until I started posting them. Lighter or heavier you make some beautiful bows and I hope we see more of them.  ;)
SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:02 am »
Nice looking bow young man. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:28 am »
Your bows are all tillered great, that's all that matters in any bow from anybody. The important part about fairly accurate numbers is the fact LOTS of people learn from you, whether you believe it or not. Your age doesn't have anything to do with teaching or spreading your knowledge around. It gets soaked up.

I did the little test I mentioned in an  earlier post. My digital bow scales got 32.2# @ 20", my digital bathroom scales said 38.4# @ 20. I know both scales are accurate within a pound. My guess is bathroom scales are "feeling" for a different weight dispersion and give a wacky number when scaling bows with a stick on center. 

Get ya' some spring scales and keep truckin' Zion!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 09:36:02 am »
Love the bows your puttin out man!
Looks a bit like the ERC "Knothead" profile I'm workin on.
If I can get a bow over 50# I am happy so far ;)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:48 pm »
you are a really talented young bowyer Zion, I love your work. I myself have tried some serviceberry - with no good results. Maybe it is the Europian stuff, always propeller and kind soft, one chrysaled badly.

But I'm also with some others here to get that heavy load out of that piece is really unbelievable

Anyways the bow looks very good and you should proud of it even if it is of lower weight.
Keep on going!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bubby

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »
I love your bows and passion in building them, and if you go buy pearlie's test your still lookin' at 85#, some of these guys are just jealous cause they cant draw that heavy of a bow ::) >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zion

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »
Thanks guys.

Thanks randman. I actually didn't sign up for the bow trade lol, sorry to dissapoint ya!

Thanks Jmilbrandt

Thanks Pappy

Thanks for your words Pearl, that's interesting. I guess the bathroom scales just don't like weighing bows lol.  ;D Yeah i'll buy a spring scale, could probably end up handy when i'm tillering bows anyway.

Thanks Dubois, i love these profiles! I hope that bow turns out for ya.

Thanks Simson, yeah all the Serviceberry here is all twisted too. Ya just have to do treat it special, and it can do crazy things! If not it'll chrysal and crack and take a bunch of set lol. But keep trying it, once ya get it figured out it's an amazing bow wood!

LOl thanks Bub. Well i'm jealous of the guys that can pull 200 lbs! I can do 200 lbs in some weightlifting, but i think if i were to try pulling a heavy warbow i'd s**t myself!  ;D :-[

I guess this mean's i've been ripping you guys off with the weight of my bows. Really sorry about that, not trying to lie, that's just what my scale's been telling me  :( . Im glad that i can try building way heavier bows now tho.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 10:46:06 pm »
I love your bows Zion and THAT one is AWESOME!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline randman

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 11:48:32 pm »
IO for one don't feel ripped off or lied to Zion....just in awe of your skills. I can learn a lot by just looking at your bows. Did you have an uncle or your dad show you about wood workin stuff or did you just get interested and start doin it on your own? Little bow makin prodigy right there.....showin us old guys how it's done.......
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.