Author Topic: sheep or shepard?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

sheep or shepard?
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »
ok heres an intresting thread. a few years ago i wanted to do archery so i joined a club and only recently got into bow making. but scince i started people have seen my pictures and thought archery is a great sport and i have lead them into archery first it was my mum then my 7 yr old cousin and now my girlfreind. they all wan't to get involved. so my question is this are you a sheep which means did someone lead you into archery or are you a shepard who has led others into the sport or are you both? SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: sheep or shepard?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:40:28 pm »
Im both. I havent got a specific person that led me to archery, i just loved it as a boy. Ive gotten a few involved and most of them love it.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 04:58:51 pm »
Me too.

We're all ambassadors of primitive archery......but we've all been helped along the way....and are still being helped
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:19:18 pm »
Both,what first drew me in was when I saw a p/a at a news stand with a photo of black tail and his son on the cover.I have a son around the same age,so I guess he's my shepard.I also try with some sucess to spread the addiction
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »
I discovered an indoor shooting and archery range in a town about 40 minutes from where I live.  I paid a tenner and shot a few dozen arrows from various bows (Samick, Ragim, Bear Paw) and (for me) the most logical next step was to make my own bow and equipment so I went in search of people that could supply me with materials, and people who could help me.  I live in Ireland so it's not really an "Irish Heritage Activity" kinda thing but I was very lucky to befriend an English man living in the town I was working in at the time.  He'd recently celebrated his 50th year in archery - both shooting and occasionally making bows; though he's got quivers and tubes FULL of arrows!!

He's also helped with instructing my daughter (now 12) in how to shoot a bow, though her interest has somewhat lessened in the last couple of years.  She in turn has told her friends "my daddy makes bows" and some of them have expressed an interest in archery as a result.

As my wife will tell you - I'll happily sit, stand or walk with someone (even a stranger) and talk about bows, arrows, curing hides into leather, and other "unusual topics" until one of two things happens - the person is excited about learning something about it...  OR (and most often) they're REALLY aggravated cos I won't shut up about this stuff and they're trying their best to escape me :D

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:51 pm »
I discovered an indoor shooting and archery range in a town about 40 minutes from where I live.  I paid a tenner and shot a few dozen arrows from various bows (Samick, Ragim, Bear Paw) and (for me) the most logical next step was to make my own bow and equipment so I went in search of people that could supply me with materials, and people who could help me.  I live in Ireland so it's not really an "Irish Heritage Activity" kinda thing but I was very lucky to befriend an English man living in the town I was working in at the time.  He'd recently celebrated his 50th year in archery - both shooting and occasionally making bows; though he's got quivers and tubes FULL of arrows!!

He's also helped with instructing my daughter (now 12) in how to shoot a bow, though her interest has somewhat lessened in the last couple of years.  She in turn has told her friends "my daddy makes bows" and some of them have expressed an interest in archery as a result.

As my wife will tell you - I'll happily sit, stand or walk with someone (even a stranger) and talk about bows, arrows, curing hides into leather, and other "unusual topics" until one of two things happens - the person is excited about learning something about it...  OR (and most often) they're REALLY aggravated cos I won't shut up about this stuff and they're trying their best to escape me :D

This sounds a LOT like what i do. the portion about walking and talking to anybody about bows and primitive archery and bow making in general... funny thing is, i would say the same thing about myself. Ill talk to ANYBODY who will listen to me! my mom is tired of hearing it and my dads so so on it, and my sisters dont care lol. Poor me, got to get a really nice bow made and go to an archery range just to get people interested lol
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 06:13:19 pm »
I taught archery at a day camp for summer 2011.  Would have done it again in a heartbeat but I moved back to VT to have a baby.  3-400 kids over the course of the summer, maybe more.  If you want to change your life, teach underprivileged kids a life skill involving self discipline.

Before then, I was involved in my University's archery club.  I had a lot of great coaching there, and from Marc Olsen in NH.

Long, long ago I participated in JOAD at Pelkey's range in St. Albans, VT.  It's too far back to really remember.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:19:19 pm »
some great storys guys  ;D SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee