Author Topic: I hate it when!!!  (Read 10216 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: I hate it when!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 05:42:25 pm »
Lol someday the 14 yr olds will take over  >:D

I agree, i think if your making a target bow tho u can make it as shiny as u want. I personally put 4-5 coats of tung oil on mine and then rub/sand it down  bit so it is duller. I don't like making bows real pretty cuz it seems to take the practicallness out've em. Like i'd rather hang them on a wall then go out and shoot with them every day.

I wonder if burnishing with an antler or whatever could actually make a durable sealent (if you burnish extensively.) It seems to put a pretty smooth type of 'finish' on the wood...
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 05:47:06 pm »
I think your all nuts...I just rub dirt on mine and they work just fine. OK...JUST KIDDING!!!
JMO, I use a pine pitch and grease mix. Half Eye sent me some with a molle he made for me at one time. I've used it since.
Keeps em conditioned and breathing.
Thanks Half Eye

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline randman

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 06:28:33 pm »
Not sure which of my statements you disagree with Eric ??? There's a few in there ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 07:28:12 pm »
What about urushi as a waterproof finish?  It is catalyzed and cured by moisture rather than oxygen and from what I have read it is completely impervious to moisture once cured.  Anybody try it?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 07:50:34 pm »
wikipidia says that it is used for bows. Im sure it was used by the Chinese
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 08:38:16 pm »
I used to seal my bows with melted animal fat, but when the dog ate my favorite hunting bow, I switched to tru oil!     Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:44 pm »
I think different styles of bows deserve different types of finishes.  A more modern style of bow like a recurved american flatbow style with snake skins looks great all shined up with some tru-oil.  And a Native American style bow deserves a hand rubbed grease finish. Modern style=modern finish, Primitive style=primitive finish.  Just my opinion.

+1

Jon

Offline bow101

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 09:34:57 pm »
I agree to a point, but if the wood is oiled and sealed with a poly clear coat this should keep moisture at bay, I would think.
As far as Primitive goes we do use Titebond glue and some even use Super glue..! I would think that a 100% primi bow would be glued using hide glue, and using leather and natural twine for handles and such.
Another thought Primitive people were not steam bending the bows, flipping tips etc....etc...
A lot of bows on this site are more along the lines of the Medieval time period of Europe and the far east.
Are we missing something here...? ??? Maybe it should be called Medieval Archery..!  Most Larpers are practising the same thing.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DavidV

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 10:49:22 pm »
Ya'll are nuts... I'm stickin' to my high gloss poly and Massey Epoxy finishes  >:D

...Then again I'm not really a traditionalist....
Springfield, MO

Offline Newindian

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:17 pm »
I think a primitive finished bow will dry out the same as a modern finish
I like free stuff.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 04:31:10 am »
I'm privy to buffalo fat from a local hide tanner. I usually render it a little and apply liberally to my bows. They seem to be doing well.  Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 05:50:00 am »
I'm not even sure that the assumption all wood exchanges moister is actually correct. Take the Mary Rose bows found underwater. I believe some have even been shot! Also finishing oil from liberon makes this claim "A most dramatic demonstration of the qualities of this finish was given by Jan Sanders who, having turned a small oak bowl, applied three coats of finishing oil, allowed it to dry and then poured a quantity of blue water based wood dye into the bowl. After gently swilling it around, Jan poured the dye out and wiped the bowl dry. Needless to say no trace of the dye could be detected on the inside of the bowl. This oil will give good resistance against water, alcohol and food acid marks and will give a matt to satin finish dependent upon the number of coats. A gloss can be achieved by applying a paste wax. Also approved safe for toys. Coverage: 1litre to 8 - 12mē. Drying: approximately 5 hours."
My feeling is that modern finishes DO seal a bow almost completely, if applied correctly. And I for one like this, if my canoe capsizes I want to know that my bow will be fine after a little dunk. Some of the new floor finishes are even more bomb proof!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:33 am »
I use modern steel tools and abrasives when I make my bows. No one would confuse my bows with the "real" thing and so I use modern finishes because they look good and provide protection. Now if I were to go to the trouble of making a bow with all stone tools then I would certainly use something like bear fat to seal it.
Gordon

Offline dwardo

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »
No bow hunting allowed in the UK so no problem with super shiney finishes.
Not used polly since I discovered the wonders of tru-oil. Fantastic stuff except storage of the damn stuff.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 01:12:31 pm »
I'm with Indianguy. Shiney bows suck >:D. Almost as much as brightly colored crested arrows with plastic nocks.
Its funny when guys cry and whine about a broke or lost arrow. Haha but I hear it everytime at 3D shoots. Shoot to shoot, have fun and make more. Whats the big Deal.
Forever making arrows!