Author Topic: I hate it when!!!  (Read 10221 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Re: I hate it when!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 04:16:31 pm »
Weylin if you couldn't tell this topic was written very lite hearted and with a mischievous grin!  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 04:31:54 pm »
Looks like we better walk away from these computers...leave our "modern" homes...strip off our "modern" clothes....walk into the woods and start over from scratch  >:D  ;D

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 04:35:14 pm »
Looks like we better walk away from these computers...leave our "modern" homes...strip off our "modern" clothes....walk into the woods and start over from scratch  >:D  ;D

Agree  !!!!!!!!!!!!
I like osage

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »

Lead the way
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 04:41:34 pm »

There has only been one person on this sight I would like to see without clothes, and I think she was a volunteer for a photo take......PLEASE PLEASE, PLEASE KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON! :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »
"There has only been one person on this sight I would like to see without clothes, and I think she was a volunteer for a photo take......PLEASE PLEASE, PLEASE KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON! :laugh:"

OH MY GOODNESS LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 04:46:26 pm »
i hear you there weylin. One of my goals it to make a completely primitive made bow. Using a rock to cut the tree, to scrape the bark, to tiller the bow ect. Purely primitive would be cool. then kill a deer with it lol. thats what id like to do before im 30... got a little less than 12 years to accomplish this.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 04:55:34 pm »
 :o@IG,I'm confused as to how the RH can get out of a sealed bow but the moisture not get in?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »
Weylin if you couldn't tell this topic was written very lite hearted and with a mischievous grin!  ;)
Sorry, it's hard to tell on the internet sometimes. I'm not sweating it.  8) :)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 04:57:19 pm »
i hear you there weylin. One of my goals it to make a completely primitive made bow. Using a rock to cut the tree, to scrape the bark, to tiller the bow ect. Purely primitive would be cool. then kill a deer with it lol. thats what id like to do before im 30... got a little less than 12 years to accomplish this.

Oh another 18 year old. We're taking over   >:D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 05:08:20 pm »
IMO white wood bows look much better with a stain/finish. Tru glo is what I usually use. Plenty of options and colors to choose from without the shiny look.

So for me, stain/finish is a go, but no to shelac and the like. Not because they look modern, but I just don't like the way they look. Just too shiny I guess.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline randman

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 05:09:46 pm »
Wood is a hygroscopic material (like a sponge) and will always shrink and swell with the RH and there is no finish man-made or natural that will stop that process. I learned that in the sign and guitar makin business. Any wood (cept plywood) will shrink and swell across the width of the grain (but not the length). It's more noticeable in wide panels and not necessarily in something the width of a bow.  Lacquer finish in particular will crack and craze when taken repeatedly from a warm to cold to warm environment (example: old guitars with lacquer finishes that have years of gigging - notice the hairline cracks all over the finish). That's a temperature thing and not a moisture thing. Poly and oil finishes won't do that.
I can't decide which I like better, the nice guitar type finish or the natural finish. They both have their place (IMO) Most of the ones I've made are natural (cuz I'm lazy and they are less work) If I was makin one that was a historical replication or a native American style, it would have a natural type finish....just because....
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »
I'm a kinda "fence-sitter" on the subject of finishes.

I've seen some absolutely stunning bows on these hallowed pages that have been finished with high gloss, and other beautiful bows that were finished with grease or tung oil or parafin.

Some of the bows in here are such works of art that the perfect, blemish-free finish of a high gloss ployurathane finish, really accentuates every detail.  Bows like that deserve a place on a wall - though they've been made for use.

I've never heard of/seen lemon oil - sounds interesting.  Could I make it myself or would I need to buy it from a supermarket?

Also - am I correct in thinking someone recommended the use of olive oil in here a couple of years ago?  I've got a lovely li'l osage bow that deserves a clear finish instead of the skins I got for it originally.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »
Oh another 18 year old. We're taking over   >:D
[/quote]

oh i know! maybe its just the fad from the hunger games lol. also the avengers...and others.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »
 Randman I have to disagree.
With all the bowyers on here im suprised that nobody agrees with me on this opinion. Im not a novice bowmaker for sure and have made all types of bows over the last 20 years. Although I learned much from trial an error my early bowmaking knowledge was inspired and learned from an old bowmaker of 50 years, maybe things have changed about wood and the thoughts of the importance of a little moisture! little being the key word...Oh well keep making em boys I love em all.  :)

Indianguy

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:49:32 pm by IndianGuy »