Author Topic: Buckskin Backed Osage for old Dan  (Read 1891 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Buckskin Backed Osage for old Dan
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:55:16 am »
I took almost 6 months off from bow making to pursue my first great passion, hunting.  After a successful season I returned to the workshop to split an Osage stave with the hope of getting 2 bows from it.  One is my great elk hunter who is destine to chase those majestic giants across the Rocky Mountains.  More on him in a separate post soon.  The other I targeted for a 20# bow for my old friend Dan at my sportsman's club. 

Dan was a great archer and instructor but father time is catching up with him a bit even though he runs away faster than most.  Dan has always admired the bows I made and brags about me to his traditional bow friends. 

I've had many people ask me to make them bows but Dan is someone who I know will truly appreciate it, so he made the top of my list.  Dan's bow was shaping up beautifully.  It looked destined to be the best bow I ever made. 

As the tiller progressed into the mid 20s and my expectations rose, I drew the bow to hear the dreaded SNAP.  The back blew out in a seemingly flawless spot.  Perhaps I over dried it, perhaps I drew too far, or perhaps the stars and moon were not quite aligned properly…  Who knows exactly why it happened but it did. 

After a few moments of quiet acceptance.  I decided to push forward and see if I could not salvage it.  On a friend’s suggestion I removed the broken rings from the back.  When unfortunately totaled 4.  I then backed the bow with the skin from a buck I killed a few years ago for some added protection. 

It ended up pulling an estimated 12# at 26 inches.  Not exactly what I was hoping for but I know it will still be appreciated.  Dan works with kids and it may work well to train a young first timer.

Here’s to you Dan!

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Buckskin Backed Osage for old Dan
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:20 am »
Nice save,beautiful finish work.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:07:29 am »
Cool stuff rob...  :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:49 pm »
Way to hang in there.Nice conclusion to your story.Good luck with your elk hunt.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:20:46 pm »
Great story, and I'm sure Dan will appreciate the story as much as the bow.
Hopefully that bow will snare a few kids into our obsession too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:24:27 pm »
Thanks much guys!  I filmed the making of it and I'm going to give Dan a DVD with it.  Maybe tonight!    :D
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln