Author Topic: Pipe straight Hackberry  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Pipe straight Hackberry
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:47 pm »
Heres a little tease of the hackberry stash I cut today to take to OJAM. I used to take my osage but there will be sooo much of the yella stuff it'll maike you crazy, so I thought I my take some hackberry staves for sale this time. This tree was pretty much straight and relatively knot free for 18ft. It was 10" at the base and yielded 20 reaaaal .nice hackberry staves. I figure they ought to fetch $30 in the raw and $40 debarked and sealed on the back. What do ya'all think? Am I crazy.
Figured it might help me pay for one of Keenans Stavemasters if I sell enough of em.

Danny

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Re: Pipe straight Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:08:00 pm »
They do look nice!  It all comes down to supply and demand!  :laugh:  Good luck with them.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline country

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »
The last time I was there ... it was all yellow wood ..... might be someone looking for something else?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:29:48 pm »
Nice staves, I can never find hackberry as nice as that.
Springfield, MO

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:43 pm »
Good lookin stuff. Got a couple hackberries I need to cut as soon as the bark starts slipping. Was it still stuck down on those?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:45:40 pm »
From what I hear, anything you do that nets you one of Keenan's Stavemasters is fair game!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:52:06 pm »
i didnt realize that was hackberry. i didnt realize you could make a bow out of it either. hmmm..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:22 pm »
Nice. Good stuff! I would recommend debarking all of them as soon as you can, incase there are bugs you can't see evidence of under the bark. With hackberry you only need to seal the ends, unless the staves are really big, then sometimes they will check on the back a bit... for me anyway, in the hot summer sometimes. Hackberry has a bad tendency to warp, so don't remove too much wood from the staves, it is best to leave them a little chunky, at least for the first couple months of seasoning. Or if they do warp anyway, hopefully then the stave will be chunky enough to get a straight layout. I say this all the time, but hackberry makes a wicked fast bow, nice haul!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 11:48:28 pm »
Country...I hear ya, thats what Im hoping. Theres yellow all over and the onliest one I saw with any white wood last year was JonW and he was making a hackberry molly. I have'nt seen it in person all done but I hope he brings it this year.

David....seek and ya shall find

Okie64...Haven't scrapped any yet,

JW...Thats what I'm thinking too. Even if I don't sell em all, It'll be plenty of good bows.

Aero86...Thats one of the things I like about this site, it incites us to go out and do it too.

Toomany....The ends are sealed and I will take them as is and if someone wants em debarked I will do that then and whatever doesn't sell I will debark when I get home.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 12:13:20 am »
Nice haul there, gues I'll see you next week at OJAM .
I've been cutting Osage lately to build up my stock , about sold and used up all my seasoned wood but I'm not bringing any wood to OJAM exept for some logs I'm donating to the OSS for their demos and help raise money for the club ( Ralph is doing a demo on tree and stave selection this year ).

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:04 am »
I haven't brought any wood for a couple of years now cuz I have worked, sold and given away most of my seasoned primo and decideds look that unless I really needed the money was'nt gonna do that anymore. I thought this year I would break from the norm and try my hand at some hackberry and I'm liking it. This tree was nice no matte what spcies it would have been. I'm thinking its excellent beginers stuff. straight, very few knots and not much need for heat manipulation with the exception of a good heat treat. I will look for your red hat Poggins. I always look forward to meeting the guys here from PA.   Danny

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:08 pm »
Those are some real nice looking hackberry staves Danny, will make some fine bows for sure. Wish I could be at Ojam to meet you
and all the others guys in person, I would take a couple of those staves off your hands if I were. I'm gotta have one of those
stavemasters too one day.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:02 pm »
When you look for me Danny, you will need to look down , at five foot tall I can be hard to spot in a crowd ;D.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
That is some straight wood.  I here that is some light and fast wood. When I try hackberry, that is the kind of hackberry I want to try! 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »
Thanks guys.

Yeah Badley Bent wish I could meet more of you guys in person too. I was thinking on one of these since they are so long and straight that I might try and do an ELB with one. Has anyone ever posted a hackberry ELB?

Poggins, I'm sure we'll get a chance to meet. I will be looking for ya.SO I need to be looking for a guy thats 5ft tall and wearing a red hat, right?

Thanks Carson, they are pretty straight. I looked at several hundred trees before I decided to cut this one.