Author Topic: Cloth backing question  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
Cloth backing question
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:37:37 pm »
I've got a few questions on cloth backing:

It started drying at 5:30 CST, how long should I wait to let it dry before I trim? 3 hours, overnight, 24 hours...?

Also, when it's dry, can I sand it and treat it just like wood?

Sorry for the noob question, I'd just rather not have this one break like the last one...
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38011.msg504041.html#msg504041
Nick from Sandwich, IL
I'm just a senior in high school trying to get into college, and the world beyond.
Despite all my rage, I have yet to find any osage.

Offline Dictionary

Re: Cloth backing question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:09 pm »
I've made one linen backed bow and i just let mine sit overnight.

Your last break was due to bad grain in the board. How is the grain on this one? If the grain is just running all over the place, even a backing may not be able to save it.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »
Decent, not perfect. I think a double backing will guarantee the durability, and it's just a quickie for practice.
Nick from Sandwich, IL
I'm just a senior in high school trying to get into college, and the world beyond.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:34:38 pm »
There is no guarantee, that's about all you can count on. ;) I don't think two layers of fabric are going to do anything more than 1 layer...I could be wrong though.

I always let them dry overnight, trim the edges, then lightly sand edges to smooth it out.

What Dictionary said on the grain!!

Why make it a "quickie practice" bow, when a good one will take about the same amount of time? If it shoots straight, and doesn't break, you can hunt with it! Just my opinion though. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Tattoo Dave 
Rockford, MI

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:14 pm »
I hear you on the guarantee :)

And that's what the practice is. I need to be able to speed up the process more than what I can do because people want to buy bows from me (working part time in high school, money is hard to come by especially when preparing for college), and the quicker I can get them out the better. I know speed is kinda the enemy of quality, but it's more in the process of roughing out that I loose time than in the actual tillering.

Also, it's not gonna have nock overlays, arrow rests, or even probably a handle wrap. I've never been able to get a bow that wasn't PVC to the 100% finished stage, so it will definitely be more for practicing the final stages of making a bow than for a real head turning masterpiece.

I don't hunt, so weight is a non-issue.

In the end, although I know I'm going against the grain, I'd like to be able to pop these things out a tad faster, and backed board bows appeal to me quite a bit.
Nick from Sandwich, IL

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:45:34 pm »
You been had, you sure know how to bastardize an otherwise pleasant experience. I wish I hadn't read your post.  >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:34:01 am »
I know, it's almost as bad as pumping out fiberglass recurves for nothing but money :(

However, I don't plan on living my life as such a horrible person forever. I very much enjoy making bows, life is just really tough right now and I don't want to resort to theft or some such to keep afloat. The rent won't pay itself, and I need to pitch in some to keep us going. Hopefully soon I'll be able to post a bow I'm proud to have made. Until then, bastardized bowyering it has to be.

Edit: Also, nice catch on the username. It's been juggled around my family a bit, but nobody outside the family seems to get it. Goes all the way back to my dad's DnD days.
Nick from Sandwich, IL

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:21:33 am »
What do you call your bow making business?

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:33:36 am »
I wouldn't call it a business, just a means to an end. But if it was, I'm not sure what I'd call it. Rudd bows is a bit too similar to Rudder bows, and I'm not particularly creative with names. I guess it all depends on what I can come up with that suits my bows, and myself.
Nick from Sandwich, IL

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:49 pm »
Just remember, as soon as you exchange a bow for money, put a company name on a bow, or even put up a flyer as an adversizement, you are opening a whole 6 pack of canned worms. 

There is liability, and in this day and age, you can have a million dollar judgement against you in a heartbeat.

Then comes taxation.  Any hunting or fishing goods manufactured/sold in the U. S. has the 11% Pittman Robertson taxes on it.  I happen to like that tax, it provides for hunting and fishing access on a huge scale!

Those and many other reasons equally difficult, if not more-so, is the reason there is no Singing String Archery.

"Helpless on the path he stands
And awakens from his dream
Singing string beneath his hand"

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:30 am »
Besides that,there is ones reputation,to consider,but in light of the members posts and site handle,i dont think,this is a consideration. :-\

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 05:14:41 am »
Take it from somebody who makes bows for a living....if you have to ask questions on here you aren't ready to be making bows to sell and believe me there are many many easier ways to make a bit of money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 09:02:56 am »
Oh dear I feel queasy.
The ethos on here is the love of makin' e'm. Sure some of us sell or trade 'em, but generally not as the prime objective.
I'd also guess that any of us who do sell/trade wouldn't let anything out of our hands which we didn't feel was up to muster.

It's easy to make a bow. It's hard to make a good bow, and if you sell stuff that isn't top quality, it will sure as heck come back and bite your a$$.
Del
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:06:42 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:33 am »
I have traded and sold the odd bow here and there and considering the time it takes to make a GOOD bow, one you are happy to let someone else own takes me forever. Working out the cost per hour is very depressing never mind materials. I would be better of picking up some hours stacking shelves in a supermarket.

Its great when I tell friends how much a bow is worth and their first reaction is always "why dont you make a load and sell them????" Then I take them through how much work is involved from tree selection to cutting, seasoning etc etc they soon realise its not worth it. Add to this the very few spare hours you get with a new family and the fact I prefer to do everything without power tools i can barely knock out one a month. I suppose there are quicker ways to make a bow.

Mike I take my hat off to you and other bowyers dedicated to earning a living from it. I would say i cant imagine how much time you have to put into it but i can imagine.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:11:06 pm by dwardo »