Author Topic: two new bows  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
two new bows
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:06 pm »
Here are 2 new bows I have just finished up. Both need more shooting. The longer of the 2 I made for myself. I pulled it out of the corner of shame after a long hiatis. She is 61 1/2" t/t, and pulls about 55#@26"(on my scale  ::) ). She has cow horn top overlays, water snake skin backing(thanks Cipriano), hemp cord wrap set in Massey finish and a floppy rest.
   I put this "to be bow" in the corner of shame when I found wind shakes along one edge. I super glued them and put her in the corner. That was a few years ago. I pulled her back out to see if she was worth messing with. I think she is. She is a sweet shooting bow. She did lift a grain on the handle riser because I got the limb too thin there, right at a wave in the limb. I added  super glueing where she was lifting and a sinew wrap set in super glue.

The shorter bow will go on the raffle table at Twin Oaks for the Classic. It is sister billets that Ryano spliced then gave me the stave at the Classic 2 years ago. I have her tillered out to 26" but she is intended for a short draw and pretty light weight. I'm guessing about 35#@22 to 24". She might be a bit heavier.   I used a mahogany overlay over the spliced handle because I had to thin the handle area a bit. I also used a cord wrap handle wrap set in Massey finish for strength but I thought the black handle looked good and a floppy rest. She is 56"t/t and has slightly flipped tips on her snakey limbs and mesquite overlays.
 I photographed both bows together so thats why both are in one thread. I'll start with these group shots then get to the money shots.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: two new bows
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:28:01 pm »
...and the money shots.
  First is the bow going on the Tenn Classic Raffle Table...

...and the bow I made for myself...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:37:41 pm »
Nice looking bows Pat.
Rob

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:39:57 pm »
both look great Pat.i will try to win the one at the raffle.i need one of your bows for my collection.wish me luck.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:41:14 pm »
Nice work Pat. I like em both very much. It encourages me to see and hear the challenges that you had to overcome. I sometimes forget that you guys that make it seem so easy have to overcome the same challenges that those of less expereince do. Really nice work on those skins too.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »
Nicely done Sir!  I got an old yew stave with a crack in the side that I've set aside.  I superglued the crack as you have done.  I sure hope it holds.  This gives me hope.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48:18 pm »
They look good Pat.  I enjoy seeing you post some bows.  Do you think I could shoot one of your creations at the Classic this year?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48:30 pm »
Good stuff ,Pat!

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »
 Nice full draw shots there  :)

I've never noticed those floppy arrow rests before. Neat
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:21:10 pm »
Those are some beauties Pat. Always like your work. Great to see you have used the same  location for your pictures over the years. It's like your signature now. ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:32:04 pm »
Sweet!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 10:37:51 pm »
Very nice looking bows Pat.  I like the looks of the wrapped handles - do you dip the cord in the finish and then wrap or what is your method for that?  Think I might have to try it!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline country

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »
Very nice .. that ought to sell some raffle tickets :)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 11:44:18 pm »
Real nice, Pat. Got to make it to the classic and get my name in there this year!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 11:44:36 pm »
Both very nice bows Pat, great attention to detail work there. That one for yourself looks hunter to me, would be a great deer bow
no doubt. Like the way they bend also.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.