Author Topic: Gelatin Glue  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Gelatin Glue
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:00:17 pm »
So what is the skinny on unflavored gelatin for glue?  I remember readind somewhere that it makes awesome hideglue. 

Offline seabass

Re: Gelatin Glue
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:03:24 pm »
i use it alot for wraping arrows with sinew.it works great,easy to get and cheap.whats not to like?
Middletown,Ohio

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »
I recently used it for the first time when applying snake skins. It really seems to love skins and rawhide. I looked for knox unflavored gelatin at the store, but they were out, so I got the off-brand equivalent and it worked great. You can do a search for the amount of water to use per packet, 20 sec. in the microwave, then put in a small crock-pot to keep warm while you work. Easy peazy.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:06:14 pm »
Gelatin is hide glue, but it is refined for human comsumption. I've used gelatin with success but now prefer the real stuff because I have a good amount of it. If I ever got in a pinch I would gladly use gelatin.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:41 pm »
I screwed something up when I tried it. I followed the microwave to crockpot instructions. It gelled to early and was too thick I think though, I am guessing I didn't have it hot enough in the crockpot or didn't have enough water. I will try again though. It just never got sticky? Sinew hide glue I make will always be sticky almost from the start, I won't use it until it really holds my fingers together with some force. I used the knox brand. Although it wasn't sticky, I still sinewed a bow with it, but then before the sinew dried completely, I pulled it off as it just wasn't getting sticky even in the pot after it dried a little?.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:40:50 pm »
Works good for everything.  The fresher the better.  Don't leave it out overnight on the hot plate, don't mix it with anything but distilled water, keep it away from fat and oil, and don't keep it in the frig for more than a month.  It will last forever when dry.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:44:13 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:37:23 pm »
I've had a batch in the freezer for close to a year that still works fine.  Cut up into little 1/2" chunks, I just pull out what I need.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:45:51 pm »
I used it for my first few sinew backing jobs.  It worked fine and was super easy to use.  But once I figured out how to make home made sinew glue I have been using that.  There is just something about making it yourself that feels better. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »
Never used it for bows or sinew (I use rabbit skin glue) but have used it for many, many years for gold leaf on glass. Whenever you see gold lettering on glass, it's gelatin glue that is holding it to the glass.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:57:51 pm by randman »
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »
SLIMBOB, there's always a smart-aleck in the group.   ;)

I said frig, not freezer.   :P   Anyway, both my frig and freezer are especially good at messing with my primitive glues and paints.  That's why I play it safe and use the fresh stuff.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 05:50:39 pm »
Fresh is better.  Used to, we would have plenty of scraps for hide glue at any time.  Not so much any more.  Knox is just so convenient.  Gotta say though, if I was gonna back a bow, I would go fresh.  Hows that for crawfishin'?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:29 pm »
Works for me.  :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:27 am »
I just did my first 3 sinewed bows this past couple weeks. On the first 2 I used TB liquid hide glue and on the last I used Knox.
I wish I had used it on all 3.
The TB didn't seem to gel quick and it was therefore slipping around with the sinew when butted against the last bunch so I don't think I got the stretch effect as well. I haven't seen any noticable change in the curve of the bow on those 2.
The knox bow was twice as fast and the glue gelled just right so the previous bundle didn't get pushed around and I got better overlap and stretch.
It has taken a couple inches of flex so far in a few days ;D

I mixed it 1/2 cup water to each packet on the stove and then put it in a warmed up crock pot and switched back and forth from warm to low setting. 3 packs did a short bow no problem and didn't need any thinning.
I only have those 2 glues to compare but sure will use knox again next time I sinew something ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 04:08:16 am »
It's just cleaned up collagen glue. Just the same as hide,sinew,fish etc glues. They all work exactly the same way but with different gelling times.
Toomanyknots if it feels sticky as soon as you touch it it's likely too thick - add water. For sinew jobs you want it at about 30% solution.