Author Topic: My Primitive Way of Cleaning and Cooking fish  (Read 8588 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

My Primitive Way of Cleaning and Cooking fish
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:03:26 am »
After cutting my hand on a camping trip while cleaning a fish I decided it would be much safer to find a different way to clean fish.  This is what I came up with.  It's not only safer but you get all the meet from the fish and it's much faster and easier than filleting a fish.  Check it out and let me know what y'all think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdkCAzAbpo
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline robby

Re: My Primitive Way of Cleaning and Cooking fish
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15:49 pm »
That was pretty cool Tim!!! Do you notice any difference in flavor from on that is scaled with skin left on.
Robby

owlbait

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:47:42 pm »
Great video. Thanks for sharing. Can't beat a bluegill as far as taste either.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »
I will try this next time I go fishing.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:10:48 pm »
Thanks guys!

Do you notice any difference in flavor from one that is scaled with skin left on.

To be honest I've never scaled a fish.  However, with this method the scales get charred and act as a plate so I think if you scaled it your meat might get burned.  I've never heard of scales affecting the flavor of the meat though.  In other species of fish it may make a difference but with bream the meat is very good.  To answer your question, in my opinion scales would not make a difference in this case.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »
Good video Tim, I think I will do this with the younglings this summer during our camping weekends.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »
Just wait till the crappie start breading.... its on! For sure gonna try this method.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37:33 pm »
I'll have to head back to the pond & try that.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:00 pm »
nice! straight and simple...for eatin' as you catch
 appreciate these great tips
 like slinging rabbits inards right from its rear-end with a quick snapping fling.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:16:19 pm »
...Like slinging rabbits inards right from its rear-end with a quick snapping fling.
Hadn't heard of that way, but now I'll try it!

Tim, good job thinking of a new way to do things.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:11:07 pm »
Cool vid. You can also do that with birds and small mammals thrown under a pile coals and covered. No need to remove feathers, skinning or even gutting required. Here in the southwest most natives charred quail, wood rats or other small game caught. Back in my younger days I'd go out with small group of Apache boys (8-12yr olds) in my neighborhood armed with little spears and bows & arrows for a overnite in the desert. We would hunt all day, with the grand prize of killing a cottontail for supper. If you killed a rabbit you were the "king" that night.LOL For cooking utensils we carried a knife, matches, canteen of water and a maybe a small baggy of salt.
Basically for quail or wood rats we'd simply cover with coals for about 5-8 minutes depending on heat source. Once done remove from coals until cool then peel the char off and eat to your delight!!!!
My grandma, back in her day would char, peel, and grind into a paste bones and all.  ;D
Forever making arrows!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »
Wow, your grandma sounds pretty hardcore.  I imagine that paste would taste good fried.  Does the skin and fur/feathers peel off pretty easily?  I think with those animals I would try to utalize the fur and the feathers though.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 03:21:40 pm »
There's a video shot in Harding County during our infamous "Bring Your Daughter Antelope Hunting With JW" week!  The comments from the bunny huggers were pretty snarky.  Search youtube for guttingarabbit.MOV for a laugh.

Oh, and before you jump my case about killing poor defenseless bunnies,it was the little girl that mowed them down with her .410!!!  I just demonstrated how to gut them.  Mmmm, they were delicious that night in camp.  And for desert we had antelope inside loins. 

By the way, the dog did NOT get to eat bunny guts.  I miss that dang dog.

These simple, primitive ways are fun!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 04:19:23 pm »
Yeah, I expect to get a few comments from fish sympathizers but I doubt it will be nearly as bad as bunny huggers.  There will always be people that think animals are worth as much as humans... and they'll always be wrong.  >:D

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:16 pm »
Wow, your grandma sounds pretty hardcore.  I imagine that paste would taste good fried.  Does the skin and fur/feathers peel off pretty easily?  I think with those animals I would try to utalize the fur and the feathers though.

My grandma has since passed away. Born in the early 20's and lived til she was 82. She grew up just about the time the Apache Wars had ended in the Southwest. Amazing stories of survival and everyday life. She was born in a wikiup (primitive brush shelter) and told stories of the calvary days. Amazing.

To answer your question, the charred feathers/skin peel as easily as charred fish skin. Yeah you could save the skins and feathers but why. There's higher quality of furs,skins and feathers that were saut after just for that purpose.
Forever making arrows!