Author Topic: Primitive cuisine  (Read 1936 times)

Offline sleek

Primitive cuisine
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:43:01 pm »
So, today I had an idea. I talked to my wife and she doesnt seem too opposed either. One day a week ( probably sunday ) we will eat one meal that is intirely of stuff we did NOT buy at the store.
Everything in the meal will be gathered stuff. Fish, roots, wild onions, nuts, acorns, berries, starling birds ( taste like duck and legal all year in almost every state with either no limit or a very high one ), wild flowers, and when season comes, a garden will supply much as well.

The goal here is to eventually live as much as possiable indipendantly of the grocery store as we can, and I would like at least 2 days of the weak to be grocery free. This will be a good experinece in learning all the local edibles, serve to be allot of fun in gathering, and put my son and I outdoors more often.

I live in tulsa Oklahoma, and will post my meals on this thread, how they were cooked, and how they tasted. If, that is, anybody is interested?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Primitive cuisine
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:20:49 am »
Post away, it sounds like fun.  It also sounds like something that I would never be able to talk my wife into.

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »
Sounds very cool to try, but I'm like Madcrow. I could never talk my girlfriend into it. She will eat fish from Lake Erie, but no "animals" killed hunting.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:42:05 pm »
Heck yea Sleek, Post up details so we can follow along. But like the two before me I doubt the little lady will join me in this. City girl not the easiest to convince that nature is great.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »
Me and my dad just collected a bunch of britony(Stachys floridana) out of the yard and we're putting it in the fried rice.  Foraging can really be a lot of fun!  There are tons of wild greens in the spring and summer that you can gather as well.  I'm definitely interested in the details.  Do you have a lot of land to gather and hunt on?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:21:06 pm »
I hunt public access land. I live in the city of Tulsa, so a lot of this will be urban type of stuff. I do frequent the country to hit river bottoms, lakes, and just generally to get out in the woods. As there will be of course a learning curve, I imagine the first few meals wont be too very interesting. Especially because its not spring yet. We will see though :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others