Author Topic: playing with fish swim bladders  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Gaur

playing with fish swim bladders
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:01 am »
I have been making some glue the last two days and still in awe of the people that figured out that slow cooking fish swim bladders makes awesome glue.  Also wonder who did so first and how information was passed or if people figured it out on their own on different continents? 

now to make some sinew glue to mix with the fish bladder glue for some bow projects.

"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Dictionary

Re: playing with fish swim bladders
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:08:36 am »
Interesting.

If you had to compare it with modern adhesives, which adhesive do you think it resembles the most and how strong would you say it is?

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Gaur

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:20:11 am »
sort of hard to say.  Kind of feels like rubber cement as it is just setting up but now after it is dried it is less flexible than rubber cement.  It took quite a bit of force to get break the seal on my fingers while it was still wet.  I would imagine you would not want to let your fingers completely dry together.  I think there was figures in one of Traditional Bowyers Bibles on the natural glues chapter.  As I remember it was pretty comparable to modern glues in its sheering strength. 

This is what my "harvest" looks like after 2 days.  I slow cooked it 24 hours and kept adding water on a hot plate and then poured the glue and bladders through a mesh screen and let it gel up in the frig.  Then today I broke it up into smaller pieces and let it dry so I can store it and use it as needed.  Not a lot of glue it produced but I only plan to mix 10% fish bladder glue and 90% sinew glue so it should work for quite a few bows.

The bladders cost me about $30 at a market along the Burmese boarder (4 1/2 hrs from my place in Chiang Mai, Thailand so I don't get down there often).  They have all different sizes there.  this glue was from the smaller ones that were cheaper.   It was a few hundred grams worth that made this batch.  Some insects were getting in the plastic bag that they were in so I decided I better make them into glue before the finished them off.

The Thai people like to fry them and eat them as a delicacy.  The Chinese also make medicine from them and the person selling them told me there are some thick varieties that fetch around $2000 US a kg.  I won't be making bows from those.  I bought the small ones and some larger thin ones to try out.  The larger thin ones were much more expensive ($150/kg) I think this is a half kg in the picture if I remember right.  I think these small ones yielded a good glue so I'll stick with these.  The fish bladder glue gives you more working time while sinewing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:40:51 am by Gaur »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:53 am »
Good thread Guar.Keep on trucking.That type glue will more than likely be helpful for more extreme type designed bows.Hope you show your results or at least say them.I got a bigger city an hour and a half away from me I should look into for fish bladders.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:49:50 am »
How did you remove the grease?  I have quite a few carp bladders that I have cut into small pieces to make glue from.  Did you leave the bladders whole while you cooked them or did you cut them up?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gaur

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:54:34 am »
these ones weren't oily/greasy.  I probably should have cut them up but I just put the small ones into the pot.  I bet the insects helped open them up a bit  :P.   The larger ones I would definitely cut up.  I didn't' even use a double boiler on this batch.  Probably should have done that too but just kept my eye on it and keep the temp just under boiling and kept adding water.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:21:55 pm »
How thick was it when you were done cooking it? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gaur

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:47:23 pm »
its still quite runny but a amber color.  It takes me putting it in the fridge to get it to gel up.  But I think the key is to put some between your fingers and rub them together and after 30 seconds or so your fingers should stick together well. 

I tried adding some more water to the bladders and see if I could get more glue out of them and let it slow cook another 6 hours or so.  The color was lighter the second time and that one still gelled and felt sticky but not as much but when I took it out of the fridge and ripped it into pieces you could tell it wasn't as strong.  Then when I put in on the drying rack to dry them out with a fan on them they melted and ran off the table onto the floor.  The first batch still melted some and dripped on the table but it didn't run all over and eventually dried up.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 04:33:00 pm »
    thank you for posting this I've wondered about this fish bladder stuff every since read about it in tbb 1

chuck

Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club