Author Topic: First Arrows-Simple?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline DuBois

First Arrows-Simple?
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:19:19 am »
I need some arrows and am wondering if I need to get very complicated or if I can get away with simple.
I don't know what spine my bows shoot best at this point and I don't have a spine tester anyway. Also no fletching jig.
Should I just try to make a few with what I have now and do the testing later?

Have:
6 red osier shoots dried since sept.
6 bamboo shoots and hardwood foreshafts.
6 store bought arrow shafts at 40/45 spine.
2 bags of goose feathers (right and left wing)
real and artificial sinew.
hide glue and fletching cement.
One of those taper point pencil sharpener things.
A bunch of 125gr field points and 6 broadheads (2 bladed)
plastic nocks, although I would prefer to cut my own.
Heat gun.

What now?
As always, Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:06:54 am by DuBois »

Offline Badly Bent

Re: First Arrows-How Simple?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:48:29 am »
To build your first batch of arrows I wouldn't worry to much about spine and just use what you already have. Maybe start with the  store bought shafts since they will be easier. Good arrow build alongs on this site I believe, covering self nocks, fletching, wraps, etc.
The shoots are more work since you will have to reduce, straighten, etc but are more rewarding when done. I enjoy making shoot
shafts but sometimes have a hard time getting motivated to start a batch since it is a somewhat long process to take them through the various steps to completion. Once I've started a batch I enjoy the build, just gotta get in that arrow making mood is all. ;)

PS- No plastic nocks allowed on shoot shafts :) :) :) :) :) ever!!!!

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: First Arrows-Simple?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:33 am »
IMO, If you need arrows right now to shoot, use the store bought shafts, with or with/out the plastic nocks.  Since you have the taper tool and the nocks, you might as well use them with the store bought shafts, and self nock the shoot shafting.  You can look at some of the two fletch arrows and fletch your shafts like that, or split feathers and do a three fletch, 3 fletch may be more time consuming for ya.  I'd also use the artificial sinew on this first set.  You can set your feathers on the point end using push pins to hold them in place.  The way I align my nock and fletching is to read the grain of the arrow, have the nock going perpendicular to the grain, and if the grain feathers out or runs out of the shaft, put that side up towards the point, incase the arrow breaks on release, it will break away from your bow arm.  I've not used the build alongs on this foum, but hear they are great and you should look there also.  Lots of good info here.  Good luck and post pics when done.  I make mostly self nocks now, but still shoot a bunch of old arrows with plastic nocks.  As long as you have something to shoot out of our bow, that's what matters right now.  You can start a more primitive shoot shaft set once you get this first set done.  Again, this is just my opinion.  Have fun, dpgratz

p.s Super glue or Duco works good for nocks and fletching too.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)