Author Topic: Does Heat Affect Longevity/Durability Of A Bow?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Does Heat Affect Longevity/Durability Of A Bow?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 02:21:26 pm »
Whats the useful life span of a "normal bow?"

I've shot heat treated bows that were 7-8 years old, not very old, but they shot fine.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline autologus

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 03:11:56 pm »
I wouldn't use changing cell structure as a guarantee of damage. Just  drying wood changes the cell structure.

Yeah I never said that it damaged the wood, just altered its characteristics.  As far as causing adverse affects that was more technique dependent rather than saying heating wood damages it or causes it to act adversely.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 03:22:05 pm »
Life has taught me that nothing is for free in this world.  Everything is a trade off..... so applying this theory would suggest that heat treating would shorten the life of a bow...but perhaps the life of a bow is so long , that if it loses a few years, its of no real consequence.
If you heat treat a bow too much it will definately reduce its life...so its all a question of how much heat you use......IMHO
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 05:06:44 pm »
I wouldn't use changing cell structure as a guarantee of damage. Just  drying wood changes the cell structure.

Yeah I never said that it damaged the wood, just altered its characteristics.  As far as causing adverse affects that was more technique dependent rather than saying heating wood damages it or causes it to act adversely.

Grady
That was in reference to what crooketarrow said, not your post.