Author Topic: a good all around knife?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

a good all around knife?
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:56 pm »
Anyone know a a good all purpose knife design for a variety of situations and purposes such as skinnin, cutting, and slicing etc.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline thomas h

Re: a good all around knife?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:24:14 pm »
i always thought that the  nessmuke style was a  great all around blade not to small  nor to large great skinning design and fine for slicing and big enough for some chopping or consider the Hudson bay a little larger but very well  balanced for almost any camp choir how ever  opinions do  vary ------------------thomas

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:27 pm »
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:23:46 pm »
I looked up the nessmuk design and I kinda like it I wonder if I could make the blade a little less bulky.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:24:47 pm »
I like a good drop point.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:03 pm »
I like drop points as well and as much as I like the nessmuk I also wanna have a point on there that I can use as an awl if need be but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:42:31 pm »
I am in love with my K-Bar survival/fighting knife. I hae litteraly cut 5 inch trees down with it, split osage, and carved bows start to finish. I can also fillet fish with it, chop heads of shark and cats ( fish, not felines ), gut and skins deer and squirrels. There isnt anything that cant be done with it. Hell, you can even magnatize it, hang it from a boot lace, and find north with it. K-Bar, all the way...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:46:07 am »
I can't decide on one good all around knife.  I have been using 3 knives for twenty years.  My go to blade is Buck 500a lockblade.  I use it for almost everything.  If I have my pants on, i have it with me.  I have a rapala fillet knife with a six inch blade that has filleted thousands of fish.  I wouldn't part with it.  I have a Marine K-Bar which I cherish.  Hardly ever find a use for a knife that big, but it will do what it was made to do.  A fellow shouldn't be dressed and walking around without a knife and something to start a fire with :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:46:31 am »
mora brand knives are excellent. for an all around knife, i use their "wood carving 105", which is a small and narrow blade. others prefer the longer ones. these are good steel blades and the knives are made very well in sweden. Basic ones are under $25.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 11:51:04 am »
I have seen these Mora knives on the net but haven't handled one yet.  They look like a good all around knife.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 01:33:34 pm »
Interesting...i was wondering about a topic like this.

What would you guys say the ideal length of the blade would be for a good all around knife?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »
Dictionary, I bet you get a wide variety of answers on that question.  This little folding knife in my pocket has a blade 3" long and I have skinned a bunch of critters with it, as well as hundreds of other tasks.  A long blade gets in my way most of the time.  I might choose something else if someone said I had to be dumped out in a survival situation with only a knife to get by on.  Day to day life is different!  My truck has a chainsaw in it.  I have axes and hatchets for chopping.  I have a butcher's saw for going through breast bones and such.  For a knife to use for most tasks the little drop point three inch blade gets it done.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 11:15:38 pm »
I agree with aaron.  Moras work really well, are really tough and they're inexpensive enough you don't have to worry about them too much.  I also really like the Swiss Army Classic knife.  It's small, but I always have one and find I use the scissors more than the blade.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 01:09:06 am »
I personally prefer a blade around 3 1/2 - 4 in.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 04:59:40 am »
Ya know, it really does depend on your own style of living. What would you most often use it for, and its other duties? That will determine your length and style.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others