Author Topic: Size questions  (Read 764 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Size questions
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:06 pm »
I have cut down and split another somewhat straight laurel oak or swamp oak (not sure till winter is over) and I was asking how do you know how wide you tips and mid limbs and handle are suppose to be? is there a certain formula or is it just whatever you would want it to be?

The stave have had a few days to dry I know I need to work on some seasoned staves but Im trying to find some straighter ones to season and practice on green staves that are not as straight.

The stave is about a quarter inch shy of 5 foot
the width of the bottom is a tiny bit shy of 3 inches and the top is about a quarter inch longer than 2 inches
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Size questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:07 pm »
When I work a new wood species I make em wide and long and then work them down in either width or length if possible. Most white woods I start out shy if two inches and almost always reduce the width after my limbs start thinning a bit.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley