Author Topic: How to spine/orientate/fletch arrows?  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Bitterguy

How to spine/orientate/fletch arrows?
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »
So I still have pearls shafts, feather, nicks and glue sitting around and my fletching jig should be here soon. He said he spinner them but Idk what exactly the spines of an arrow are, how to find them and how to orientated the feahter/nocks with the spine. Also how do I go about making some arrow heads?

As always, thanks in advance
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to spine/orientate/fletch arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:45:58 pm »
If the shafts are doweled, set them up so the end grain is horizontal. If they are hardwod shoots or cane put the stiff side against the bow.
 There are lots of styles and types of arrowheads. Do a search on the "How To" section or in "Arrows" and you should come up with lots of options.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:33:16 pm »
For all intensive purposes you cant change the spine, but you can. The groove in your nock must run perpindicular to the shafts grain, in other words it makes a cross. The shafts grain needs to run horizontal while the string groove run up and down. The feathers are all one color, that makes it easy. One feather, the cock feather, faces outward away from the bow. Tips are dirt cheap. Get yourself a bag of 12 for $3.50. 11/32, 145 grain will work fine, any hot glue will hold them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:34:14 pm »
Like so?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
Yup
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:59 pm »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »
I prefer the "Little Spinner", #4148. Same price and much more durable.
Be sure you get your field point the same weight as the broadheads you use. Most arrows are spined with 125gr heads as the standard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:44:55 pm »
I started putting feild tips onto my arrow and even with the inside part of the field tip filled with glue and letting it sit overnight and a school day, I can pull them off by hand with moderate effort, they would come off if I pulled them out of my target(and did last night) what am I doing wrong?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »
What glue did you use?  Did you degrease the inside of the point?
 I usually let my new points sit in a container of alcohol for a few minutes before glueing them on. This will remove the machine oil on them. You can also sand the inside of the  point socket by wrapping the sandpaper around the tapered point on the shaft and inserting it in the point as you turn the point. This will alkso give the inside small grooves that will help it hold tight.
  Also, be sure the point gets hot enough so the glue sticks to it but not too hot that you ruin the temper in the metal.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:32:09 pm »
I'm using duco cement so it diesnt need to be melted. I will put them in a bucket of alcohol though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:39:59 pm by Bitterguy »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »
I've used Duco before with good results. I'll bet it was oil inside the point socket.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 04:40:42 pm »
Roll up some sandpaper into a tiny cone shape and get the inside of that point nice and shiny clean. Then heat it up with a propane torch or an oven burner to burn off any oils left over. As Pat said Duco will work.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 05:43:13 pm »
Or try a 2 part epoxy. that stuff is about as strong as glues get, plus they make great gap fillers.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 05:56:04 pm »
Is it alright to drop them in a thing of ice water right after or will that do something to mess them up. My mom wouldn't be to fond of hot field tips floating around
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 06:47:37 pm »
Not red hot, just warm them up. Any oils will let off a wisp of smoke right away.