Author Topic: Found a doe skeleton  (Read 2208 times)

Online sleek

Found a doe skeleton
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:35:40 am »
So was out gathering arrow shaft material when my buddy found a doe skeleton almost complete in the leaves. I gathered it up seeing arrow heads and knife handle material to be made use of. However, whats the jaw, skull, ribs, pelvis, and backbone good for?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hunts with stone

Re: Found a doe skeleton
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:04:52 am »
Many paleo and NA tools and art work can be made. War club with jaw, notching tools , pressure flakers, knifes and handels . Bone beads. Well a lot. A word of caustion, breating bone dust should be avoided. All marrow needs to be cleaned out. Boiling in water with dawn soap or washing soad will clean them up. Oh shoulder bones make good scappers and saws

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 01:58:26 pm »
I have never heard of a war club being made with a deer jaw.  I have only heard of them made from bison jawbone.  You can also make a trident type fish spear from the triangular bone in pelvic area.  Ill try and look up name of the bone
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:25:40 pm »
I have never heard of a war club being made with a deer jaw.  I have only heard of them made from bison jawbone.  You can also make a trident type fish spear from the triangular bone in pelvic area.  Ill try and look up name of the bone
yes your write there, a war club from that would be to small. Fish hooks out of the inner nose bones also. There are many things to be made out of bones.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:12 pm »
Fish hooks from the toe bones also
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:32:40 pm »
Ribs- fleshing knives,
femurs- knapping billet, maybe?
scapula- saw, platter
Vertebrae- separate, clean and seal for some killer neckerchief slides for the boy scouts in your life
skull- mount it
Jaw bone- art
Nasal bones, toe bones- fish hooks
needle bone- awl
hip joints- bow drill socket
hooves- rattle
tail vertebrae- rattle
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018