Author Topic: Buckthorn deflex/ REEEEEFLEX  (Read 8246 times)

Offline missilemaster

Buckthorn deflex/ REEEEEFLEX
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:38:15 pm »
Hi All,
          Here's another bow I didn't expect to survive past low brace, but this wood keeps amazing me.  I used a short piece with a double crown along most of its back, a sideways bend on one limb, and 3 big wholes in the belly that dont go all the way through. I figured, "what the heck, I'll do something wild with it". Well after numerous straightenings with a heat gun, I finally got her under control. I originally heat-tempered 9" of reflex into it, but after deflexing the handle I ended up with 6.5". I got very little spring back out of the form. She turned out to be an amazing shooter:  57" ntn, 1 1/8" at mid limb, 40# ish @ 27". It turned out a little light, but you would never know it seeing them arrows fly.....Smoooooooth!! :) After tillering and shooting in she retains 4 1/4" reflex!  Not my best finish job, but this turned into a test more than anything else. My next will be sinew backed. Finished with tung oil and wax. thanks for looking.

Cody

All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline missilemaster

Re: Buckthorn deflex/ REEEEEFLEX
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39:32 pm »
more

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:45:15 pm »
I'm certain that this is one of the most inspiring bows I've ever seen!  Awesome job youngman...

OneBow

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »
What a great looking bow, very nicely done.  I will have to admit that I am starting to have a real soft spot for these bows made from Buckthorn...I don't think I have any locally but I sure wish I did.  Has some of the same visual qualities that I like in a yew but with just a touch of grit to it and I like that...thanks for sharing.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:46:45 pm »
OH MY!!!  :o :o :o that is just beautiful! Love that profile! Id bet that thing really slings an arrow fast! Your finish looks great as usual, and the photos are second to none. Well done Cody! You are an inspiration ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:41 pm »
awesome as allways Cody.you can work a piece of buckthorn.do you know if it grows down here in ohio?i would love to find some.great job buddy.
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »
Yeah that finish job really sucks...ill take it off your hands if it really bothers you that much  >:D

How many hours has it been braced and how many shots have been shot out of it? That's osage like in compression to keep that kind of reflex...I would think sinew would do well on buckthorn...maybe decrown some sap off so you have that good heart wood remaining for a belly....

Sweet bow..I love me some reflex

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:58:10 pm »
Thanks guys. 

@ seabass, I'm not sure if it grows that far south, however, I am bringing a ton to the classic. Not sure if your going or not.  Also, I am planning on taking a trip yo visit Keenan this summer and I think he said that you wanted to take the trip too. If thats true, he talked about scheduling it so we would go at the same time. I could bring you some then.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:46 pm »
i'll be at the classic Cody.maybe we can do some trading.i am getting excited about the trip to Keenans.he told me you was driving.man that would be an awesome trip.i think i am gonna fly in.see you at the classic brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:24 pm »
Yeah that finish job really sucks...ill take it off your hands if it really bothers you that much  >:D

How many hours has it been braced and how many shots have been shot out of it? That's osage like in compression to keep that kind of reflex...I would think sinew would do well on buckthorn...maybe decrown some sap off so you have that good heart wood remaining for a belly....

Sweet bow..I love me some reflex

Thanks hawk.  It was strung a bunch during tillering and its got about 30 or so arrows through it so far.  The thing that I like about it is that it snaps back into reflex, not one of those bows that you unstring and it ssssllllllooooooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy  inches back.  I actually like this wood more than osage...for the time being. 

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »
Another beauty !
Good job as all ways !!
Hope to see ya soon !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:43 pm »
Awesome bow!  Very inspiring!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:38:37 pm »
Dude you build the prettiest bows i have ever seen.  I think that you have found your calling. 8) Love that reflex

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:48:16 pm »
<snip> I actually like this wood more than osage...for the time being.

Careful of such talk...  If some around here are to be asked, that's near abouts heresy there Mister Master!

OneBow

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »
Dang nice one there Cody and thats some bold reflex. The buckthorn sure isn't just average bow wood from the looks of what your getting it to do. Now you giving me the push to get a little more daring with my bow design, just what I need after breaking one on
the tillering tree today :laugh: :laugh:.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.