Author Topic: bamboo backing  (Read 3383 times)

todd robbins

bamboo backing
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:44:07 pm »
I'm a newbie at bow making, and have a question that I hope someone here can help me with.  I just bought a board stave and a bamboo backing strip.  The bamboo is planed flat and ready to glue, except for roughing up the back.  The stave is perfectly flat, straight, and square.  However, while the bamboo backing strip is square and flat, it has about a 1.5" sideways bow in it.  Will this be a problem to glue up?  It was perfectly aligned with the stave in the packaging it came in(bubble wrap covered generously with clear tape), and showed the bowing after I released the packaging.  If it glues up OK, will it cause any other issues after the bow is finished?  Oh, the bow will be an American flat bow, a little overbuilt b/c I'm pretty new at this, and I'm also pretty tall and long armed, with about a 30" draw.   

Thank you guys very much!

Todd

Offline snedeker

Re: bamboo backing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:50:04 pm »
there are ways this can be dealt with, but if you bought the stuff at full price, it should be straight.  If its trade stuff or whatever, we'll come up with a plan.

Dave

huntersim

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:06:32 pm »
Clamp it on your board and pull it the other direction just past straight and clamp it. Then use a heat gun on it through the bend.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:22:57 pm »
Draw the profile of the bow on the wood and cut it out.  Then set it on the flat side of the bamboo and see if it will set on without hanging off the sides.  You may have to bend it a little, but wood is rarely perfect so that is a good thing to learn anyway.  Post pictures if you can, they always help us give the correct advice.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

todd robbins

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 10:58:47 pm »
Dave
It was bought at full price from a business that deals with supplies for bowyers and traditional archers. 

Justin
I could make triangular profiled limbs with it like it is, if I use really narrow nocks, maybe wrapped on pin nocks.  I was planning on making it pretty long, but if I cut it down to 65" or so, I could make it with triangular limbs and traditional nocks. 

I think I'll contact the dealer and see what they suggest.  I can go the heat gun route without much trouble, if that's the best thing to do.  I was hoping for a simple, but effective, backing for my first glue up, but I guess I'd need to learn to deal with this sort of problem at some point, anyway.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll post what the dealer suggests tomorrow, with some pic.s, if I can get my wife to show me how to work the camera! ;D

Todd