Author Topic: First bow ever Finshed!  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
First bow ever Finshed!
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:32:26 pm »
Alright so i finished my very first bow it was alot of fun!
T2T 48"
N2N 47"
draw length 22"
the wood is either Swamp Bay or Laurel Oak either way they are in the same family

Its a small bow but it was my first so im still just practicing. I let the stave dry out a few days before I started to use it so it really didnt get to season. But it work and im proud of it! i dont know what the # is but guess maybe some where around 20-25. the bottom limb had sorta of hinge I was able to work some of it out but its still there a little bit. also the one limb slightly bends to the left but I left it as is it wasnt that bad and it still shoots fine!

also it just because its a short bow that when its unstrung that the limbs bend or did i do something wrong?

dont mind the pink sting :P I dont have any good bow string on hand

For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First bow ever Finshed!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »
Nice bow and especially for your first. Probably the reason it has taken on set after unbraced is because the wood wasn't seasoned. Probably why you got so much bend in that short of a bow too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:42:42 pm »
Nice bow and especially for your first. Probably the reason it has taken on set after unbraced is because the wood wasn't seasoned. Probably why you got so much bend in that short of a bow too.

ok thought it might have to do something with seasoning it, does that negatively effect the bow?
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:47:52 pm »
Cool handle! Nice first bow overall anyway.

Every bow takes on a bit of the bend, right after unstringing it can be quite a bit. Seasoned wood and a longer bow will reduce it some.
Don't shoot!

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »

ok thought it might have to do something with seasoning it, does that negatively effect the bow?

Oh yes big time the wood is still fresh, kind of like a wet noddle.  The wood fibres will take more set.
Cool little bow for your first shooter.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »
Seasoning bow wood hardens the wood cells and fibers making it less apt to take on set or at least much set. Once you have disfigured the wood cells it is hard to get them back to normal if you can at all.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »
nice first bow
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:26 pm »
Looks pretty good for a first bow, nice work.

From your full draw picture it looks like you might have tillered it whip-ended, which means that the outer parts of the limb are bending too much and the inner parts aren't bending enough. But that could be just the angle of the picture because the brace looks good. Keep it up, you'll only get better and better.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 05:13:08 pm »
 Good job on you first bow! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline raghorns

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:14:04 pm »
When I was your age, I thought a hinge was something on a door...you will be a fine bowyer...keep up the good work. You're doing the right thing by seeking advice from these great guys on here that love to help young people learn.

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:23 pm »
Looks pretty good for a first bow, nice work.

From your full draw picture it looks like you might have tillered it whip-ended, which means that the outer parts of the limb are bending too much and the inner parts aren't bending enough. But that could be just the angle of the picture because the brace looks good. Keep it up, you'll only get better and better.

+1 i think that it's a good bow but as it dries it will take set, twist and it may break. i would leave it alone for a month (unstrung) and then come back and maybe re-tiller. while you wait try and find a good board and make a bow from that. just my opinion. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Roy

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:18:00 pm »
Very nice for your first bow and green wood. You will do well making bows.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:59:18 pm »
Yep. Your on your way. Very nice start.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 09:34:58 pm »
I just want to thank all you guys for the support and tips! maybe one day il be as good at bowyering as yall!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:51 am »
Way to go man!
Feels good to get one that shoots, huh?