Author Topic: Heeeelpp plz.....its urgent.  (Read 9297 times)

Offline akila

Heeeelpp plz.....its urgent.
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:53:43 pm »
Hi all i have started a new ash bow today and it have some twist in it and i put him on the form to straighten it, and i put some little shims under back of the bow so that i can force to twist out and after the bow wass cool down and i remove him from the form i found a place where the sims has dent the wood a little.can i leave it like that or do i have to go to the next ring???

You can see it in this pictures a little...the dent is right on thi middle of the limb...in normal way the back should have been crowned a little in that area but now its flat.The dent its 1/2" on 1/2".Its a perfect square.I hope i dont have to chase another ting on this one. :-\
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 01:09:22 pm by akila »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heeeelpp plz.....its urgent.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:47:16 pm »
As long as you didn't break any fibers you ought to be OK. You can probably remove most of the dent with a little moist heat if you think it is necessary for appearance sake.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 02:06:03 pm »
As long as you didn't break any fibers you ought to be OK. You can probably remove most of the dent with a little moist heat if you think it is necessary for appearance sake.   Pat
I dont beleve that the fibers are break...it just pressed ....in that place wass a wooden shim ..but it wass from conifers..soft wood..but it still dent the wood a little there.I have tight the clamps to much there ,becose the twist wass pretty big in that area so..this is whatt happent.Its the first time whenn i get something like that and i didnt know whatt to do..chase another ring or let it like this...??? :-\

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 04:43:53 pm »
I'd leave it like it is.     You can tiller some twist out as you work the bow to full draw. Full draw is where it really matters.  ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

a finnish native

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:51:16 pm »
if the fibers are not broken it should not explode. maybe you can back it with rawhide just to be shure? just a suggestion though ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:15:12 pm »
  You can take a clothes iron and a damp wash cloth and get most of it out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline akila

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 05:29:01 pm »
  You can take a clothes iron and a damp wash cloth and get most of it out.
Hy all and thks.. i didnt understand that with iron clothes and damp wash cloth...soryy :-\

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 05:35:26 pm »
Moist heat. ;)  Pat

a finnish native

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 05:46:08 pm »
yeah. as in boiling some water in a pot and steaming that part of the bow with the steam that comes from the water for example. I bet 10 minutes should be enough. be careful not to give dry heat from the stove to the other sections of the bow, if you shall do this.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 06:23:54 pm »
yeah. as in boiling some water in a pot and steaming that part of the bow with the steam that comes from the water for example. I bet 10 minutes should be enough. be careful not to give dry heat from the stove to the other sections of the bow, if you shall do this.
I wouldn't use that meathod, its to hard to only steam the dents. 

Mullet was referring to using an hot iron for taking the wrinkles out of clothes.  Put  a wet rag on the dent and rub the hot iron on it to get it hot.  You could probably get by by using hot water on the rag to begin with and using the heat gun on the rag.  Just try not to heat the rest of the limb.  I just leave the dents in the wood.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline akila

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 06:45:10 pm »
I wouldn't use that meathod, its to hard to only steam the dents. 

Mullet was referring to using an hot iron for taking the wrinkles out of clothes.  Put  a wet rag on the dent and rub the hot iron on it to get it hot.  You could probably get by by using hot water on the rag to begin with and using the heat gun on the rag.  Just try not to heat the rest of the limb.  I just leave the dents in the wood.  Justin
i think i will leave it like that...i dont have experience with this stuff at all and im afraid not to do something bad and damage the all stave

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 08:57:17 pm »
  thanks Justin,should have gone into more detail.Akila,If you take a wet rag and lay it on top of the dent.Then put just the tip of the hot clothes iron over the rag and dent,it will usually lift most of the dent out.That way you are just dealing with a small area of the limb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 09:17:52 pm »
  thanks Justin,should have gone into more detail.Akila,If you take a wet rag and lay it on top of the dent.Then put just the tip of the hot clothes iron over the rag and dent,it will usually lift most of the dent out.That way you are just dealing with a small area of the limb.
You probably explained it OK. Unless I am mistaken, we also have a language barier causing some confusion.  Akila is from Romania and probably speaks english as a second language and didn't understand what a clothes iron was.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline akila

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 04:53:45 am »
Thks guys i finaly got it...i understand whatt you mean,even if sometimes i dont understand all the words...i usuly quess some of the things that you are saying here ;D.It seams thet the dent its gone or its to small to see it...i had to do a little more straightining to that area and i probably put another shim next to that dent and it force her out,so its ok...now i put some thick paper under the shims also just to be sure...and hope that i will not dent the wood no more.....Ciprian.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 08:32:54 am »
Akila it is to late on this one but I always round the edges on my shims or use small heavy
leather shims to minimize the dents,also make sure the bow is at least floor tillered before I thy to take out twist and humps and put some backset in the bow.This will help to keep from denting it.
Also don't tighten the clamps to tight,no need to tighten them real tight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good