Author Topic: Sisters broken bow-Big lesson!  (Read 5415 times)

Offline DuBois

Sisters broken bow-Big lesson!
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:18:24 am »
Hey Fellas,
My sister sent me back her broken bow.
I made it last year and gave it to her cause I kept thinking of her when I made it.
It was 48" osage with cow hide backing and drew 40# at 24". My son and daughters thumb prints on the rawhide wraps.
I sent her a care instruction paper BUT, I didn't tell her not to hand it to a guy who shoots compounds :o :o :o
He drew it and snapped it :'(
Anyway, I never got any good pics but it was the first bow of only 7 so far that I was really pleased with.
Wish I had been able to sinew it but that may not have helped either.
Hope you like whats left of her.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Sisters broken bow-Big lesson!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:25:08 am »
Oh man... that's cruel.
All I can say is I hope it whacked the SOB on the head damn hard.
That's the prob with these modern kit archers, they don't actually 'understand' anything about real bows.
It drives me mad when they blether on for ages about paradox when they've got a centreshot bow that doesn't have any >:(
Sisters eh, we still love 'em :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:43:46 am »
Flippin morons... It really P!$$3$ me off that these guys have no common sense, yet think they are the best of them. Plus 1 on what you said Del. They for some reason didnt learn that lesson most kids did when bending a stick. You bend it to far, guess what, it breaks! And they also dont even understand their own equipment well either. They have mechanical stops that tells them when they are done drawing it back, but for some reason, they expect some magical property of the wooden bow to tell them when to stop. Otherwise, they will pull it past their head. And very often I have seen, and heard, if they break one, they just give it back as if it were just a stick, walk away, and dont care.

Beautifu bow by the way. Id glue it back up and hang it on a wall.... your sisters wall that is. She will never forget that lesson. I tie a string from the handle to the bow string where the arrow nocks that is equal to the draw length of the bow. That way, if anybody tries to overdraw it, the string comes taught, and prevents further drawing of the bow. I have had a few bows saved from deft hands in the past with this method.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:11:19 am »
that stinks! get ahold of me well get u set up with a new hunk o wood to replace it ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:45:56 am »
Ya that stinks, I never hand a bow that is strung to anyone unless I know them
and know they know how to handle it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:25 am »
DuBois,
     That is too bad, bow looks like it would have shot forever. If you make her a new one, then make her some arrows too.....and make them draw length only. maybe her "compound" friends wont be able to hurt it that way.
     Ought to be considered felonious bow abuse.
rich

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:00 am »
I feel your pain. Seems like everybody wants a self bow when they see one, so that is a good thing, but as said, they just dont understand. My nephew tried to string a bow I gave his dad backward and quess what happened. After all the time and effort put into a bow things like that hurt a bit.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:21:27 am »
That sucks. If i dont know the people that are handling my bows i always make em nock an arrow thats not long enough to overdraw the bow with. Did have a kids bow come back once that someone broke by putting all the bend in the bottom limb while stringing.
Steve Bennett

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:04 am »
I do what Pappy does - I never hand one of my strung bows to someone I don't know and trust.
Gordon

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:43:58 am »
Wow man, that sucks.  That was a beauty of a bow, if I were you sister that bow would have made meat because I would have stabbed that A-hole with the broken shards.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:29 am »
LOL LOL Yeah It is probably good I am in Mn. and they were in Kansas  >:D Thanks for the laught Grady, makes it a bit better.

if I were you sister that bow would have made meat because I would have stabbed that A-hole with the broken shards.

Grady

Yes Sleek!, I never thought about the $#@!ers that might get their hands on a bow besides my sister. Like I say, One good lesson we won't soon forget. I figured some of you others had similar lessons too.

DuBois,
     That is too bad, bow looks like it would have shot forever. If you make her a new one, then make her some arrows too.....and make them draw length only. maybe her "compound" friends wont be able to hurt it that way.
     Ought to be considered felonious bow abuse.
rich
Thanks Hale Eye, Next time arrows and a short tether string are going with.
that stinks! get ahold of me well get u set up with a new hunk o wood to replace it ;)
You got it Soy, will do soon and thank you!
And thank you to all you guys, I never would have even finished it without the wisdom on this site.

On to another  :laugh:

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:02:39 am »
That's a shame. I always give strict instructions before I let somebody draw my bows, but your sister probably didn't even realize that there was a risk.

But now you have an excuse to build a new bow!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 12:26:42 pm »
That's a shame. I always give strict instructions before I let somebody draw my bows, but your sister probably didn't even realize that there was a risk.

But now you have an excuse to build a new bow!
You know it Slackbunny, this is the only thing I can recall doing that didn't piss me off when I fail.
Before I had any clue about longstring tiller or anything in the way of knowledge, I hacked out a ERC stave, got it to a good shape, and strung it up. No break in or anything. Crack/snap!
Didn't even phase me, just started a new one. I knew I was hooked then >:D
This one only really bugged me for my sister.

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 12:44:43 pm »
When I make a custom bow for someone, the first thing I tell them is: if someone else shoots or draws this, the warranty is void.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:44 pm »
When I make a custom bow for someone, the first thing I tell them is: if someone else shoots or draws this, the warranty is void.

I was just about to type the same thing. It's right up there in my care and use instructions too.

I think caution is warranted under all circumstances. I recently witnessed an experienced bowyer handing over his prized 60 year old yew self bow to another experienced bowyer who took all reasonable precautions when shooting it. After about 5 shots it blew up into a million pieces and and cracked the shooter on the head pretty good. the bow's owner was very gracious and only showed concern for the shooter's well being but the shooter's misery and regret was palpable. I'm not so worried about the possibility of my bow breaking, I just never want someone to feel like that if they happen to break my bow.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:58:43 pm by Weylin »