Author Topic: Steam and yew?  (Read 9544 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Steam and yew?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 08:39:49 am »
Thanks for the advice fellers.

I stuck with dry heat again. I heated the spot up for at least 10 minutes on high from 6" away. I had plenty of oil on it sizzling away. It was hot enough it actually wrinkled the wood when I pushed it over. No cracks or problems, just a wrinkle. I call that hot enough? We shall see when I get home tonite.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 08:41:34 am »
Hope it works out, Chris.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:16 am »
Me too. I dont think I could have got it much hotter without combustion. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 11:18:10 am »
Drums I did this yesterday........  This is the third Yew bow I've used dry heat on (never tried steam). It's a two piece from billits and after working it down and attaching the sleeve it had about 3 1/2 inches of deflex. It took about two hours to get it hot enough with dry heat and oil to get it to hold. It still sprang back about 3/4" when I unclamped it. I also removed some propeller twist that would rival the exorcist!!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:53 am »
2 HOURS Kip Winger! Good Lord you must have been slopping the oil to her. Mine would have combusted by then. Ive never got any type of wood as hot as this piece. I think it was sawed out slightly crooked from a straight 1/4 log and Im trying to move it in a way it shouldnt. Its a lateral move Im making by the way.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 12:00:16 pm »
Its a lateral move Im making by the way.

I've still got a bit of that to do but I'm going to get a bit closer to bow dementions so as not to stress the center so much :)

:laugh:   I denched it with about a pint of sunflower oil (don't tell my wife). I held my gun back far enough so as not to scourch this pretty Yew.

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 12:47:29 pm »
Well kip it's about time you finished my take down bow.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 04:41:24 pm »
I use steam heat too on yew.  Let it cool overnight all clamped up, and then hit it with moderate dry heat and leave clamped another day.  It works for me.

BTW, pearl, I finally got that 8" reflex VM stave shipped out to you.  The guy at the post office undermeasured by an inch to avoid charging me the oversized surcharge.  Nice guy.  8) Anyway, he said hoepfully no one remeasures it and trys to charge you on delivery.  Let me know if they do and I will make it right. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »
I wouldnt sweat it Carson. I will whack 'em in the noodle with my VM stick and tell them to leave my yard! Thanks for the wood, I cant wait to dig into that beauty. Looks like "Two Holer" may have to be put on the back burner yet again.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 07:17:43 pm »
Dangled Informative Thread!

Got a stave or three O Yew that make obscene gestures at me every time I pass em.
Correcting Lateral Deviation is currently my least enjoyable facet of heat correction.

The Dogwood I built for my Trade Bow last year needed a ton of it. And wouldn't hold
the correction, both Steam and Dry Heat.
That piece taught me to Turn down my heat, heat Much more slowly over a Longer period of time.
And increase my clamp time to days instead of hours.

But if in the end you decide that Yew is Evil...
I'd be interested in trading some Bodark for it...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline chamookman

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 07:49:49 pm »
Downrite FUNNY Blackhawk  :laugh: - good luck Pearly ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:09 pm »
Well I'll be. I thought I was the only one who was having trouble bending yew. I worked on a short sinew backed thing with curved tips, and the tips bent and stayed just fine with oil and heat gun but when it came time to fix the sideways bend in the limbs it took me forever to get it to stay,it kept wanting to go back to original. Funny thing is though I finally got it straight sinew'd skin backed and sealed and after only 4 months of shooting and once in the rain ,it's back to crooked the sting now lies 2" out side the handle.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 09:26:24 pm »
Well I'll be. I thought I was the only one who was having trouble bending yew. I worked on a short sinew backed thing with curved tips, and the tips bent and stayed just fine with oil and heat gun but when it came time to fix the sideways bend in the limbs it took me forever to get it to stay,it kept wanting to go back to original. Funny thing is though I finally got it straight sinew'd skin backed and sealed and after only 4 months of shooting and once in the rain ,it's back to crooked the sting now lies 2" out side the handle.

That sucks, Art. especially after going to all the trouble to put sinew on it and now you cant heat it up again.  >:(

Offline Roy

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 09:54:42 pm »
Sounds to me like Yew doesn't like being forced to bend against the grain. Maybe because the rings are so close together? I would think being as soft as it is, it would bend like rubber. Maybe that's why it just springs back.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:03:32 pm by Roy »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »
Well, it's a good thing yew always grows pipe straight... ::)