Author Topic: Steam and yew?  (Read 9541 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Steam and yew?
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:00:36 pm »
Im at my wits end with a piece of pine right now. I have oiled and heated the heck out of this bow and it will not stay straight. It comes right back over night. Talk about mad? The portion Im trying to straighten is in the handle and its not severe, say 20 degrees? Dry heat does not work with or without oil. Leaving it clamped overnight doesnt work either.

Should I shellac the area before steaming? And does yew need a 45 minute steam to be safe? This is yews last chance with me. Three strikes is ample in my tiny book.

Thanks for any yew wisdom you may share.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bcbull

Re: Steam and yew?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
Pearly i wrap it w cut up cotton t shirt strips then spray it good w water drippin wet wrap it good w foil gget ur heat gun out heat heack out it setms right there id say 45min. To a hr then do ur bendgo 20% more than u want let er sit all nite i dont shellac it but i have used tru oill on back let er rehydrate a week or so hope that helps brock

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »
I've always had great luck correcting or recurving yew with just dry heat, no oil.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »
Bein honest i wont touch yew w dry heat juniper eithe no mattr how dry the wood always end up w cracks w dry heat sience iv done em that way havent had one crack yet brock

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:32:35 pm »
I read in the last issue of PA by Marc about doing it like Brock said,haven't tried it,I have had good luck with dry heat in bending it, no oil,the main problem I have is denting it so bad,it's like working with punk wood. ;) :) Sure can't clamp it up like Osage,we used thick leather on the last one for shims and that helped but still dented it some.  :) Hard heads like me I guess needs to work with hard wood. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:40:02 pm »
It shouldnt be this difficult to build a simple straight bow. And another reason I love so many other woods more. Heat it, bend it, it stays and I move on. Thats building a bow for me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:01:52 pm »
pearly post some pic s of it i wanna see the grain on that do ya think the wood coulda been wet when it was bulit ? cuz yews helll if wet and drys lol brock

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:51 pm »
The grain lines are straight and the wood has to be dry as much as Ive heated it up and have had no cracks anywhere, it looks great. Its just bent at the handle. Its holding the same shape the stave held and wont let it go.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:39 pm »
Guess its time to start signing the bowyers rendition of the national anthem....

"O-osage can you see...by the bowyers bench....what so proudly we hail...as the king of all bow wood.....and yeller wood bending everywhere....while whitewoods busting everywhere....gave proof thru out time...that osage is still there....o say does that yeller wood banner yet wave....in the land of the free....and in the home of the bowyer."  >:D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:54:19 pm by blackhawk »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:42 pm »
That should be your signature!

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »
i don't have any advice for you but that recent article but Mark did come to mind.
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:56:12 pm »
I plan on trying that tonite after work golden gopher, cross your fingys.

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:59:04 pm »
i have never used anything other than steam to correct twisted and kinked yew (not that i know something you dont, its just the first thing i tried and it worked). however you are right, i always steamed that sucker for 45 minutes to and hour and then made my correction quickly.

Roy
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »
Blakehawk I love it you are so right on the money OSAGE is the best wood LOL.
Old timber bows

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 03:12:59 pm »
Gonna need longer than 45 mins bud
Clatskanie, Oregon