Author Topic: Drop point hunter  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Drop point hunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 02:22:11 pm »
I think we need more pictures to form an accurate opinion ;)
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 08:09:20 am »
Hi all

Been lurking and reading up to now, but I have to say that is a seriously nice piece.
Well-cut plunge, which is complemented by the front edge of the scales, and I'm a sucker for a neatly executed full-flat grind :D
Nice tidy hamon too ;)

Couldn't work out from your later comment: do you epoxy as well as pin?
The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:49 am »
Thanks again, all.  I really appreciate it.

Yep, I did epoxy in addition to the pins.  Plus I drilled several lightening holes in the tang to help it balance better, plus give extra bonding strength.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 11:56:34 am »
I missed this one.  Awesome knife!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 11:20:31 pm »
We must be getting old, Crackjafty, I missed this one too. 

That's one highly useful looking knife.  I see knives in gun shops, hunting catalogs, and knife catalogs and all they seem to be good for is suckering idiots into buying them.  They are all the stupidest, most unweildy designs/executions that they don't even make good letter openers!  But this knife would be at home in the field and in the kitchen.  I wouldn't hesitate to whip this sucker out in a fine steakhouse!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 10:42:06 pm »
that is a good looking knife.  I was talking to my wife last night about learning how to make knifes.  I work at a machine shop so i have access to all kinds of stainless some heat treated and others not or some were in between.  What rockwell number is good for knifes.  Also what tools are needed i know i could slap a slab in my 5 axis cnc and knock one out with just alittle clean up but I would rather do it buy hand...
Go for something between 55-65 once hardened, that will give a good edge. I once made a sword-katana thing from some type of steel I could not identify. my friend has a penetration rockwell tester cause his dad works in a machine shop, and he measured the tip(which was hardened) and it was like 70 something. I use the thing for woodcutting, its a 20 inch blade, I hone it once a week, use it daily for splitting and chopping and general brush clearing. It can easily take out a 1 inch sapling of hard-wood in 2 swings. it is razor sharp, I have shaved with it once just for bragging rights. It also does not dull with ground contact. Heres the problem- I made the mistake of leaving it on a concrete block during an airsoft war, and as that little area is a popular shortcut, somebody took it and its rawhide sheath.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 09:52:36 pm »
I missed the bus to the senior center, too, JW. That is one, fine looking knife, Jonathan. You're getting real good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?